Chair: Dr. Vicki Hatton
Southwestern Oklahoma State University has one of the largest and most respected Kinesiology Departments in the State. The degrees offered are the Bachelor of Science in Education in Health and Physical Education and the Bachelor of Science in Exercise Science.
The Bachelor of Science in Education Degree in Health and Physical Education is a teaching degree accredited by the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education. The HPE degree prepares the student for teaching and coaching positions in public and private schools. Graduates will be able to pursue employment as:
- Kindergarten through 12 grade health and/or physical education teachers
- Middle school, junior high, and high school coaches
- Summer camps for children and youth
- Specialized sports camps
The Bachelor of Science Degree in Exercise Science is a non-teaching degree. The degree prepares students for a broad range of health and fitness related professions. Graduates will be able to pursue employment as:
- Preventative health services in a corporate or community setting
- Rehabilitative health services in a clinic
- Preparation for other career endeavors: Personal Trainer; Strength & Conditioning Specialist; Pre-Physical Therapy; Sport Nutrition; Cardiac Rehabilitation; Fitness & Wellness Management; and others
All courses offered are taught in small classes by professors holding a Master’s or Doctorate degree in their specialty area. The department faculty is active at both the State and National levels in professional associations, societies and organizations.