Center for Distance and eLearning
Respondus LockDown Browser Student Guide
Respondus LockDown Browser™ is a secure browser only intended for use while taking quizzes that have been prepared for use with Respondus LockDown Browser in Canvas. The quiz won’t be accessible with a standard web browser. Respondus LockDown Browser prevents you from printing, copying, going to another URL, or accessing other applications during a quiz.
Respondus LockDown Browser provides a custom interface for the Internet Explorer (Windows) or Safari (Macintosh) software that is already installed on the computer. It does not modify an existing copy of Internet Explorer or Safari, but rather, installs a separate program that displays a custom browser when it is started. Respondus LockDown Browser uses the same security features and service packs that are currently installed for Internet Explorer or Safari. Installing Respondus LockDown Browser won’t modify your current version of Internet Explorer or Safari in any way.
Select this link and follow the on-screen instructions to download and install the correct version of Respondus LockDown Browser for your computer.
Once installed, follow these steps to start Respondus LockDown Browser and to take a Canvas quiz.
- Close all programs, unless one is used to connect you to the Internet.
- Start Respondus LockDown Browser.
(For Windows users, locate the “LockDown Browser” shortcut on the desktop and double-click it. Alternatively, click “Start” in Windows, select “Programs,” select “Respondus,” and then click “Respondus LockDown Browser.”)
(For Macintosh users, launch “LockDown Browser” from the Applications folder.)
- Upon starting, the browser will go to the login page for Canvas.
(A warning message may appear indicating that one or more applications must first be exited, such as an instant messaging application. The browser will offer to close the applications for the user. Alternatively, the browser can be exited and the blocked application can be closed manually before restarting the browser.)
- Log into Canvas by entering your user ID and Password. Select the appropriate course and then select the quiz.
- Click the “Start Quiz!” link to continue. (Note: the “Start Quiz!” link will not appear if any browser other than Respondus LockDown Browser is being used. In addition, the following message will be displayed: “Note: To take this quiz you must use the Respondus LockDown Browser.”)
Once the quiz has been started, you will be unable to exit the exam until the “Finish” button is clicked.