ProctorU is a revolutionary new service that allows students to complete their assessment at any location while still ensuring the academic integrity of the exam for the institution. Using almost any web cam and computer, you can take exams at home, at work, or anywhere you have internet access.
Preparing for Your Exam
You can take exams through ProctorU seven days a week. You will be connected to a live person during your exam that will be there to guide you through the process and assist with any technical problems. If you have any questions, please call our proctor line at 205-870-8122.
Below is a quick list of procedures, followed by a more detailed explanation of the typical exam appointment.
- Your allotted exam time doesn’t begin until you are entered into the exam by your proctor.
- Have your student or government issued-ID ready, as you will have to show it to your proctor to verify your identity.
- ProctorU will run an applet, or temporary program on your computer that will allow us to view your screen and what programs are running during your exam session. This program will expire once you close it. Please close all unnecessary programs before logging in to ensure the best experience.
- Test your equipment at www.proctoru.com/testitout before your appointment to ensure everything works. Please see our technical requirements listed below.
- Make sure you have a fast and reliable internet connection. If you are connected through an intermittent WiFi connection, you may want to plug in directly to your modem, to avoid disconnecting during your exam. If you lose connectivity, please continue the test and email the course instructor immediately and call ProctorU at 205-870-8122.
- Please turn off all cell phones and find a comfortable, quiet spot in a well-lit room. Try to put light sources in front of you, such as windows or lamps, so they don’t cast shadows on your face. Your proctor will need a clear view of your surroundings and face in order to grant access to your exam.
- If your Learning Management System allows, please remember to save each answer as you go in case you lose connectivity or there is an error with the testing site.
- Some course instructors allow scrap paper and others do not. If scrap paper is allowed be prepared to show it to the proctor to ensure it is blank.
Taking Your Exam
ProctorU allows you to take your exam on demand or by appointment. All appointments should be made at least 3 days in advance. To make an appointment, simply create an account at http://go.proctoru.com, or your school’s ProctorU web portal, then log in, click on the “new exam” link and select the exam, date, and time you desire. You will receive a confirmation email of your reservation at the email address that you provided to ProctorU. Reservations made within 72 hours of your exam are subject to a $5 late reservation fee. Students without an appointment can take their exam on demand within 15, 30 or 45 minutes utilizing “Take it Now”. This premiere feature is designed to give test takers added convenience and only costs $8.75. Late registrations and “Take it Now” are subject to availability.
Plan ahead for your session. Make sure you have a quiet, private location in which to take the test. The area and room around your computer will be scanned using a web cam prior to your exam, so all non-authorized materials should be put away and the area should be clutter-free. If you are using a public computer lab, you must have a web cam connection and use headphones, so you won’t disturb others. You will also be required to show picture identification to your proctor at the time of your exam. Approved forms of identification include, but are not limited to, a driver’s license, military identification card, passport, or school-issued identification card. No breaks are allowed during your testing session and cell phones and other devices will not be permitted in the testing area. No other people are allowed in the area in which the test is being taken. Any unauthorized notes or other attempts to cheat will abort the test session and will be reported to your instructor.
At the date and time of your appointment, return to http://go.proctoru.com, log in, and a message will appear saying, “You have an exam. Click here to begin.” Click on this button and it will automatically take you to the proctor page. Fill out your personal information and hit submit. You will then be directed to a screen which will connect you to your proctor. Just follow the steps on the screen and a proctor will be connected with you shortly.
Once connected, your designated proctor will walk you through the set up process and you will log into your testing portal. Your proctor will also supply the password for your examination. Your exam time will begin when the proctor enters the examination password on your screen. If you have any problems connecting, please call ProctorU at 205-870-8122.
Students are responsible for meeting the following technical requirements:
- A reliable computer running Windows XP (or higher) or Mac OS X 10 (or higher).
- A web cam with 640x480 video pixel resolution or higher.
- Headphones or working speakers connected to the computer.
- A working microphone connected to the computer. We recommend a web cam that has a built in microphone.
- A web browser with Adobe Flash Player installed. We recommend Flash Player 11.
- A reliable, high-speed internet connection.
- The ability to allow video and screen-sharing connections to the computer you will be using to take your exam.
Students can test their computer, web cam, and internet connection at www.ProctorU.com/Testitout
To learn more about ProctorU, please visit our website at www.ProctorU.com
Don’t forget to “like” us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!