Missing Student Notification Policy
Any SWOSU student presumed missing for 24 hours, shall be reported e as presumed missing to the SWOSU Chief of Police/Office of Public Safety. He will contact other parties as listed below.
|SWOSU chief of police||@ 580-774-3111|
|SWOSU director of housing||@ 580-774-3024|
|SWOSU dean of students||@580-302-3655|
|SWOSU v.p. & associate provost||@580-774-9566|
- SWOSU encourages all SWOSU students to use the option to register a confidential contact person they want to be notified in the case the student is reported missing for 24 hours.
- This information will be kept confidential and reported only to law enforcement and offices mentioned above.
- Students may register their contacts with the Director of Housing office or the Dean of Students office. In the event that a SWOSU student is not registered, and has been reported missing for 24 hours, the SWOSU police will still be notified.
- IF A SWOSU STUDENT IS UNDER 18 YEARS OLD, IS NOT EMANCIPATED, AND IS MISSING FOR 24 HOURS, THE PARENT OR LEGAL GUARDIAN MUST BE NOTIFIED. ANY REPORTED MISSING SWOSU STUDENT FOR 24 HOURS WILL ALSO BE REPORTED TO THE SWOSU POLICE DEPT.
- SWOSU will follow specific procedures when there is a reported SWOSU student missing for 24 hours, including but not limited to, contacting the confidential person or persons registered, housing director or his designate to check dorm room if applicable, dean of students and the VP of Student Affairs to check with faculty to determine if student has been attending classes. Swosu police will also notify local police departments and any other police agency deemed necessary after student missing for 24 hours.
- If the missing student is under the age of 18 and is not an emancipated individual, swosu pd will notify the student’s parent or legal guardian immediately after the investigation has determined that the student has been missing for 24 hours.
- SWOSU encourages anyone who knows or believes a student may be missing to report this to the SWOSU Police department, or other persons listed above, immediately.
- If another office receives the first report of a presumed missing student the SWOSU police shall be notified.
This requirement does not preclude implementing these procedures in less than 24 hours if circumstances warrant a faster implementation.