The goal is to maintain calm and order and not disrupt the classroom or office area any more than necessary. Students will not be alerted unless necessary.
GENERAL PROCEDURES - Faculty/Staff should stop any stranger and inquire as to his/her business in the building. If not there on “normal” school business the Campus Police Dept. should be called while the individual is detained.
If in a classroom, call the Campus Police for help. If shots are fired, evacuate students to safest position away from the intruder and call 911 immediately.
SIGNALS: Call the SWOSU Campus Police Dept. (3111) and advise, “The intruder is in Room
#_____”. Update with a new location if the intruder moves.
STEPS OF ACTION: Depending on the situation, the SWOSU Police will take appropriate action.
- When calling SWOSU Police, advise if there is a weapon, and what kind. Try to give a description of the person by noting clothing, gender, race, etc.
- Take students into protected classrooms.
- Check restrooms and vacant rooms.
- Lock classroom door with keys, if possible.
- Move students away from doors and glass.
- Faculty – If necessary help evacuate students. Ensure all doors are locked. Stay with and protect students, provide first aid, and take roll.
- Secretary/Faculty – Call Police (3111 or 911).
- Auxiliary Staff – Provide first aid and assist with evacuation, if necessary, designated persons lock outside doors.
LOCK DOWN PROCEDURES: The following are guidelines to be used for emergency lock down.
- Persons (Chairpersons/Custodians) with a door lock down responsibility will go immediately to the doors and take the needed steps to assure that it is secure.
- Students who are outside will be directed to go to the nearest building by a staff member who can see them. They are to remain there until an “All Clear” signal is given.