The goal is to maintain calm and order and not disrupt the classroom or office area any more than necessary. Students will not be alerted unless necessary for their safety.
• Stop any stranger and inquire as to his/her business in the building. • If not there on “normal” SWOSU business the SWOSU Campus Police should be called while the individual is detained. • If in a classroom, call the SWOSU Campus Police for help. • If shots are fired, evacuate students to safest position away from the intruder and notify Campus Police immediately.
Call the SWOSU Campus Police Ext. #3111 or (580) 774–3111 “The intruder is in Room #_____”. Update with a new location if the intruder moves.
Steps Of Action:
- When calling SWOSU Campus Police advise if there is a weapon, and what kind. Try to give a description of the person by clothing, gender, race, etc.
- Take students into protected classrooms.
- Check restrooms and vacant rooms.
- Lock classroom door with keys, if possible.
- Move students away from doors and glass.
- If necessary help evacuate students. Ensure all doors are locked. Stay with and protect students, provide first aid, and take roll.
- Call SWOSU Campus Police Ext. #3111 or (580) 774–3111
- Provide first aid and assist with evacuation, if necessary.
- Lock outside doors.
Lock Down Procedures:
The following are guidelines to be used for emergency lock down.
- Designated People with a door lock down responsibility will go immediately to the doors and take the needed steps to assure that it is secure.
- Students who are outside will be directed to go to the nearest building by a Faculty/Staff member who can see them. They are to remain there until an “All Clear” signal is given.