“WATCH” Conditions are favorable for tornado or severe weather. “WARNING” Tornado may be imminent. Take shelter.
On SWOSU campus, the severe weather warning will be made via the sirens from the City of Weatherford. Tornado watch and warnings will also be monitored by a radio at the SWOSU Campus Police Department. ￼
Steps of Action:
In the event the sirens sound you should:
- If you are in unsafe location at that time, go to designated storm shelter for that building at the direction of the faculty/staff.
- Go to the lowest level, on the inside wall and assume a kneeling position, head down, with hands covering head.
- Faculty/staff needs to close classroom doors.
- Faculty should keep their class rosters with them and remain with their classes to be sure students are following the Tornado Evacuation procedure and to verify student count.
- Wait for all clear signals before returning to classroom.
- Avoid all large clear-span buildings (gym, cafeteria, etc.) during a tornado.
- In an outside office, window blinds are to be closed.
- A radio should be located within hearing distance of office personnel if at all possible.
Designated Storm Shelter Areas for Each Building
These areas are the Safest in each Building in case of a Tornado.
- Administration: Basement
- Art: Basement
- Assessment: Basement
- Athletic Directors Offices: Interior Hallway
- Bookstore/Market: Basement
- Burton House: Basement
- Campbell Building: 1st Floor, Central Hallway, Away from Windows and Doors
- Center for Economic & Business Development: Exit to Campbell 1st Floor, Central Hallway
- Chemistry/Pharmacy/Physics: Basement
- Conference Center: Mesquite and Teak Rooms
- Education: Basement
- Engineering Technology Brick: Basement Stone Building
- Engineering Technology Stone: Basement
- Field House/RWFH: North Classrooms and Hallway
- Fine Arts: Lobby Stairwells/Lobby Instrument Storage/Entrance Ramps To Auditorium
- Fitness Center: Neff Hall Basement
- Hilltop Theater: Dressing Room and Dressing Room Hallways
- Library: Basement
- Mary Mabry Savage Apartments: Neff Hall Basement
- Music: Main Hallway
- Neff Hall: Basement
- Oklahoma Hall/Music Annex: Music Hallway/Lobby T.V. Area
- Parker Hall: Basement
- Pharmacy II: Basement
- Physical Plant: File Storage Area Northwest Room
- Print Shop: Interior Hallway
- Rogers & Jefferson Hall: Basement
- Science: Basement
- Stafford Building: Basement
- Stewart Hall: Basement
- Student Government: Basement
- Student Union: Basement
- Theatre Scene Shop: Lowest Level Away from Windows
- Upward Bound: Basement
- Wellness Center: Locker Rooms/Interior Hallway of Student Health Services Office Area/1st Floor Enclosed Stairwells
Each building has designated people who see that the storm shelter area for that building is unlocked and accessible for students and faculty in the building. There are two shelters on campus that the general public may use, the Science Building and Library Auditorium west entrance. All other shelters on campus are for student faculty and staff only. All students should be reminded that lowest level away from windows and doors is standard Tornado Precautions in all SWOSU Buildings. NO ANIMALS ALLOWED IN ANY SHELTER. Any questions should be directed to SWOSU Campus Police Ext. #3111 or 580–774–3111.