HLC Accreditation Home | The Higher Learning Commission | Criteria for Accreditation | Evaluation Process | North Central Association | Self-Study Teams | Self-Study Report | Submit Comments | Electronic Resource Room
The Evaluation Process
The Commission provides the following program for maintaining accredited status: the Program to Evaluate and Advance Quality (PEAQ) that SWOSU utilizes. PEAQ employs a five-step comprehensive evaluation process to determine continued accredited status.
- The organization engages in a self-study process for approximately two years and prepares a report of its findings in accordance with Commission expectations.
- The Commission sends an evaluation team of Consultant- Evaluators to conduct a comprehensive visit for continued accreditation and to write a report containing the team’s recommendations.
- The documents relating to the comprehensive visit are reviewed by a Readers Panel or, in some situations, a Review Committee.
- The IAC takes action on the Readers Panel’s recommendation. (If a Review Committee reviewed the visit, the Review Committee takes action.)
- The Board of Trustees validates the work of IAC or a Review Committee, finalizing the action. Evaluations for initial and continued candidacy and initial accreditation also follow the processes outlined above.