Office of the President
SWOSU Mission, Values & Vision
Current Mission and Purposes
The mission of Southwestern Oklahoma State University is to provide educational opportunities in higher education that meet the needs of the state and region; contribute to the educational, economic, and cultural environment; and support scholarly activity. Major areas of study on the Weatherford campus, associate degree programs on the Sayre campus, the general education curriculum, and participation in student activities/organizations provide opportunities for students to obtain skills, knowledge, and cultural appreciation that lead to productive lives and effective citizenship.
The mission is manifest and the purposes of the University are accomplished through the following:
- insuring quality education, the University recruits qualified faculty without regard to national origin, race, gender, disability, age or religion. Faculty growth opportunities are provided through an organized faculty development program. Excellence in teaching, scholarship, and service are encouraged and recognized. An organizational and intellectual environment is provided that insures freedom of individual expression and inquiry, provides representative governance for all members of the University community, and promotes student/faculty interaction. An assessment program provides the basis for continuous evaluation and program improvement.
- meeting its commitment to student development, the University recruits qualified students without regard to national origin, race, gender, disability, age, or religion and provides a community that encourages participation in intellectual and physical activities and leadership development. A curriculum is provided that develops communication and analytical skills; a comprehension of the arts, humanities, and cultural diversity; and knowledge of the scientific/technological world and of our historical heritage. Student orientation, advisement, enrichment, and participation in organizations and activities contribute to student growth and development.
- fulfilling its role as a cultural and educational resource for western Oklahoma, the University provides distance learning opportunities, continuing education associated with career enhancement, personal development, and cultural growth. Performances, exhibitions, and research that enhance knowledge and enrich society are supported and services to communities are provided through academic departments and other university agencies.
Pending Approval of the Higher Learning Commission
The mission of Southwestern Oklahoma State University, a member of the Regional University System of Oklahoma, is to provide education, research, scholarly and creative activities, and service in an intellectually stimulating and nurturing learning environment. The University is a vital contributor to the educational, economic, and cultural life of Oklahoma and the region, and provides traditionally strong programs of study leading to a variety of degrees, from associate to doctoral degrees. SWOSU’s many areas of study, nationally accredited programs, general education curriculum, service and experiential learning activities, as well as participation in student activities and organizations provide students with opportunities to obtain skills, knowledge, and cultural appreciation that promote achievement by students and alumni.
The Mission is accomplished through its focus on:
- Student Success to help students discover and achieve their educational and life goals.
- Academic Quality through accessible, innovative, and high quality academic programs that are based on student needs and those of the region and the state.
- Resources to expand and diversify the revenue base of SWOSU.
- Enhancement of the quality of life of Faculty, Staff, & Administration to attract and retain the best and brightest for serving our students.
- The Sayre Campus so that it is fully integrated into the overall University.
- Optimizing technology to meet the educational and administrative needs of SWOSU.
SWOSU confirmed its values with its stakeholders.
- We value our standing as a premier Oklahoma institution of higher education that meets the needs of the state and the region by providing accessible, affordable, high-quality associate’s, bachelor’s, master’s, and professional degree programs.
- We are committed to high standards for instruction, administrative services, research, scholarly and creative activities, and service to the university and community.
- Our faculty, staff, and administration are committed to fostering a safe, healthy, and diverse intellectual, cultural, and social environment for student success.
- We are dedicated to the economic stability and growth of our region, and we cherish our role as a center for arts, culture, science, and technology.
- We guide our actions by fairness, honesty and integrity as we meet our obligations through wise use of the financial and natural resources entrusted to us.
As a premier university responding to an ever-changing world, SWOSU will provide an environment for faculty, student and graduate success and public service through a variety of elements:
- Innovative and accessible academic programs;
- Student activities and opportunities;
- Cultural inclusion and diversity;
- Expanded international programs, opportunities for international students, and promotion of global awareness;
- Community and private sector partnerships that benefit students, faculty and staff and the community;
- Student and faculty research, scholarly, and creative activities that expand bodies of knowledge and enhance quality of life;
- Activities and investments that promote ethical, intellectual, professional, and personal growth;
- Promotion of university and community health and wellness;
- Commitment to advancing and maintaining technologies that optimizes university operations and classroom and student distance learning;
- Management of our financial resources and establishment of new avenues to support and preserve quality programs; and
- Expansion of alumni relations, recognition, partnerships and support.