SWOSU Work Plan Strategic Planning
SWOSU has a tradition of developing strategic plans, which includes: strategic plans for 1998-2003 and 2005-2010. The documents are archived on the web site at this link. The planning continues since SWOSU completed another successful regional continuing accreditation commitment from the North Central Association-the Higher Learning Commission in 2010-2011 for a full ten years. An administrative decision was made to bid out strategic planning to facilitate this open and deliberative process. SWOSU selected Penson Associates, Inc. to facilitate the process. We completed the strategic planning review process and the 2012-2017 university strategic plan can be located at http://dc.swosu.edu/spbooklet/1/.
The SWOSU Planning & Resource Council, which builds from past strategic plans, the recent Self-Study and Team Report by HLC, diverse focus group discussions, and relevant documents; will create a Strategic Plan to guide the future of the University. Particular emphasis will be placed on identifying a stronger strategic position for SWOSU and a selected number of high impact initiatives to strengthen academic distinction, to enhance the student experience, and to advance service to a diverse region and local community.
The planning process will be:
- Driven by statements of Values, Vision, and the SWOSU Mission,
- Mindful of campus culture, history, traditions, and prior planning,
- Open and collaborative,
- Implementable, and
ASSUMPTIONS AND APPROACH
- The Planning & Resource Council will guide and drive the process with support from subcommittees that will draw in a variety of stakeholders.
- Stakeholders are defined as representatives from the student body, staff, faculty, and community leaders.
- There will be regular contact with the President and University leadership throughout the process.
- On-site representatives provide administrative support and President Beutler selected the chair of the Planning & Resource Council who is Dr. Monica Varner, Associate Provost for Academic Affairs.
- The SWOSU Strategic Plan will seek to align with the mission and plans for the Oklahoma State Regents Higher Education and the Regional University System of Oklahoma.
- The role of the Consultants is to facilitate a planning process that is largely completed by SWOSU rather than to create the plan.
- The process will utilize a conversational approach where people address a set of fundamental questions that lead to the essential elements of a strategic plan, rather than placing heavy emphasis on planning language and jargon.
- In keeping with this collaborative approach, SWOSU will provide the assistance needed for this planning project.
- SWOSU will maintain a web site on which information about the process can be posted: presentations, agendas, minutes, etc.