9 Reasons to GO to SWOSU!
Many factors come into play when students decide where to begin or continue their college careers, and students looking at Oklahoma universities and colleges have plenty of options. But Southwestern Oklahoma State University in Weatherford/Sayre has an edge over other regional schools and major universities when it comes to academic options, costs and more. Here are nine of our favorite reasons to pick SWOSU:
- Tons of academic options. SWOSU offers 100 fields of study and more than 1,000 classes. It has 14 nationally-accredited programs, which is the most of any regional university in Oklahoma. Pharmacy, physics, parks and recreation management, psychology and more— we’ve got you covered.
- Cost effectiveness. When you factor in everything from tuition to books to housing, the net price of attendance at SWOSU is $1,000 less per year than similar schools. But a lower price tag doesn’t mean less value. SWOSU spends more on instruction and less on administration than similar schools, according to the National Center for Education Statistics.
- A diverse student body. SWOSU is home to 5,400 students from all 77 counties in Oklahoma, plus more than 40 states and 29 foreign countries. And SWOSU is growing. This academic year, SWOSU had the highest enrollment increase of any four-year institution in the state.
- Leadership development. The SWOSU President’s Leadership Class offers the next generation of leaders a chance to hone their skills.
- Statewide connections. SWOSU has teaching, clinical and partnership sites in more than 50 cities across Oklahoma. We want you to have the real-world experience necessary to succeed.
- Personal connections. SWOSU has a 20:1 student/faculty ratio. Southwestern Oklahoma State University is a place where you won’t just be a face in the crowd. We also have dozens of student groups, so you can join up with other students who have similar interests, whether you’re a trombone player, a single parent, or a chemist.
- Something to cheer for. If you love sports, SWOSU has it all — NCAA Division II baseball, basketball, cross country, football, golf, soccer, softball, volleyball and track. We even have rodeo. There’s always a Dawgs team to cheer for.
- A great campus. SWOSU has excellent facilities, and we offer services to help our students with all aspects of their lives. Need career advice, counseling or health services? We have you covered right here on campus. Drop in (for free!) to our 72,000-square-foot Wellness Center and enjoy free classes, rock climbing and state-of-the-art gym space.
- Weatherford, OK is awesome. SWOSU’s home is Weatherford, OK: the perfect combination of a small, friendly town mixed with the excitement of the big city. From quaint coffee shops to the luxurious bakeries, Weatherford offers a wide variety of eateries for discerning tastes. SWOSU also plays host to many big names in the entertainment biz like comedian Mike Birbiglia and Magician Mike from America’s Got Talent. For the more historically-minded, there’s the Stafford Air and Space Museum. Take a virtual tour today.