Healthy Lifestyle Programs
Check Your Numbers Health Screening
Monday, November 6 - 8 at the Wellness Center
Screening appointments offered every 15 minutes. 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Screenings are provided by Catapult Health and the SWOSU Bulldog Wellness.
Why check your numbers?
Checking your numbers is one of the best ways to evaluate your health by identifying your risk and providing motivation for managing your health. Even if you feel great and look healthy, you may not know what's going on inside. Many diseases are "silent" and affect your health long before you feel anything wrong.
Check Your Numbers is a voluntary, fasting health screening including total cholesterol, HDL, LDL, and triglycerides, glucose, blood pressure, weight, body mass index (BMI), and waist circumference. Receive your confidential results (seen only by program staff) and resources for follow-up immediately. Plan for 20 - 30 minutes to complete the screening. Schedule your appointment online.
"My appointment was this morning and I can’t begin to say thank you enough for offering this service. I took advantage of it last year and, unfortunately, my numbers were so unhealthy that I was advised to contact my doctor immediately. My numbers were not even close to the healthy range. It was obvious that I needed to do something. Given the needs of other people in my household, I had been postponing my own checkups and now it was time to get in. As a result of your setting off the alarm I am now happy to say that a year of medication (lowest dose I am happy to write), healthier eating, more exercise ---- drum roll please --- I have excellent numbers! Thank you so much for this service. It is invaluable. I’ll be back next year to check again and make sure I stay on track."
SWOSU Walking Club
Meets every Monday, Wednesday and Friday, 12:10 p.m. at the east entrance of the Wellness Center. Fit fitness into your workday with a 30 - 40 minute walk and receive the benefits of social support, stress relief and renewed energy.
Dancing for Fun & Fitness
Zumba at the Wellness Center
o Monday and Wednesday 7 p.m.
Square Dancing in the Conference Center
o Taught by Phillip Snider, starting August 23, Tuesday evenings, 7 – 9 p.m.
o First three lessons free; by donation thereafter
I Will! Commit to Activity & Nutrition, Seven-Week Healthy Lifestyle Program
For those that want to jumpstart a new healthy lifestyle, this free seven-week program will equip you with the skills you need to get started. I WILL! is an interactive program that includes nutrition and fitness assessments, a hands-on cooking class and grocery tour, weekly workouts, free resistance bands and a pedometer app for your smart phone to encourage you to work toward 10,000 steps a day. Don’t think about how many other times you’ve promised to do this for yourself – this time just say I WILL!
- Tuesday, October 3 – Basic Nutrition looking at Fats, Sugars and Carbs - We will be looking at different foods and the amount of fat and sugar. We will have some food models and some experiments to look at. How much sugar does your Route 44 drink have?
- Tuesday, October 10 - Meet at United Supermarket for a Grocery Store Tour - We will take a quick look at some items on the store shelves that would be healthier choices. We will look at labels and see if we really know what we are eating. Salad lunch provided by United.
- Tuesday, October 24 - Food Prep Ideas/ Food Safety – We will be looking at new gadgets and things that can help you get the job done easier and quicker. We will also discuss some home food safety issues.
- Wednesday, November 8 - Healthy Pressure Cooker Cooking- We will look at a variety of pressure cookers (Instapots) and make some dishes for you to try. This new product saves time and money for the busy family. Lunch provided by Radonna.
· Mondays, Resistance Bands, Wellness Room 144, 12 - 1 p.m.; Walking Club, Wellness 12:15 - 12:45 p.m.
· Tuesdays, Water Aerobics, Rankin from 6 - 7 p.m.
· Wednesdays, Walking Club, Wellness 12:10 - 12:45 p.m.
· Thursdays, Circuit Training, Wellness Room 144, 12 - 1 p.m., Water Aerobics, Rankin from 5 - 6 p.m.
· Fridays, Walking Club, Wellness 12:15 - 12:45 p.m.
- September 11 - November 10 and don’t forget Walking Club, starting September 5.
- Instructor: Radonna Sawatzky, B.S., M.Ed
- There will again be three tiers of competition. Teams can e-mail Jamie Collins and she set them up in the walking site.
- Teams can be made up of one to 10 members from across campus or within a single department.
Weight Watchers at Work
- Begins Monday, August 28
- Contact Janet Slagell (7023) or Kathy Megli (7070)