Public Relations & Marketing
News and Events
SWOSU SOEA Wins Outstanding Chapter Award
March 16, 2007
Southwestern Oklahoma State University’s chapter of the Student Oklahoma Education Association in Weatherford was recently named the co-chapter of the year at the state convention held in Oklahoma City.
SWOSU and Oral Roberts University were co-winners of the competitive award, which is presented annually by the Oklahoma Education Association. Points are awarded on a competitive basis in several categories. All 25 SOEA local chapters compete for the chapter award.
Floyd Cox, state student organizer for the OEA, presented the award at the annual awards luncheon. Accepting the award for SWOSU were: Kimberly Sumner, Weatherford, SOEA president; Autumn Wright-Wood, Oklahoma City (PC North), SOEA vice president; Vicky Gilliland, SOEA faculty advisor; and other SWOSU SOEA members.
SWOSU was recognized for the following accomplishments:
- Participation of two local leaders at the NEA Student Leadership Conference in Orlando, FL—June 2006
- Two state officers from the chapter (Kimberly Sumner & Autumn Wright-Wood)—2006-07
- Attendance by 10 or more local members at the SOEA State Convention—March 2007
- Attendance by 10 or more local members at the SOEA Fall Conference—October 2006
- Increase in membership (59 in 2006 to 71 in 2007)
- Local chapter meetings and officer meetings
- Local chapter projects or activities (t-shirt sales; Homecoming t-shirt sales;
- Homecoming float; trash pick-up; MLK luncheon; Santa pictures; chapter bulletin board displays)