Public Relations & Marketing
News and Events
SWOSU Announces Interscholastic Meet (SWIM) Winners
March 28, 2008
Mustang, Watonga and Drummond high schools won sweepstakes awards at the annual Southwestern Oklahoma State University Interscholastic Meet held March 27 on the Weatherford campus.
Mustang won the Class I title, Watonga took top honors in Class II, and Drummond was the winner in Class III. Drummond won a sweepstakes title for the fourth straight year.
SWIM Director Todd Boyd said 69 schools from around Oklahoma competed in the academic contest, which has been a traditional event on the SWOSU campus since 1914. This year’s event had nearly 1,500 students in attendance.
The number of students enrolled in grades nine through 12 determines school class. Schools with 600 or more students are in Class I, 151 to 599 in Class II, and 150 and less in Class III.
In the sweepstakes competition, finishing second and third in Class I were Yukon High School and Westmoore High School, respectively. In Class II, Elk City High School finished second and Chisholm High School placed third. In Class III, Corn Bible Academy High School and Laverne High School tied for second place, while Okarche High School won third place.
School and individual winners were also announced in the nine different categories of competition which were: art, biological sciences, business, computer science, language arts, mathematics, physical sciences, social sciences and technology.
School Winners are:
- Art—Class I-Mustang; Class II-Walters; and Class III-(tie) Drummond and Thomas-Fay-Custer.
- Biological Sciences—Class I-Mustang; Class II-Watonga; and Class III-Drummond.
- Business—Class I-Yukon; Class II-Watonga; and Class III-Okarche.
- Computer Science—Class I-Mustang; Class II-Apache; and Class III-Merritt.
- Language Arts—Class I-Mustang; Class II-Cache; and Class III-Drummond.
- Mathematics—Class I-Yukon; Class II-Elk City; and Class III-Seiling.
- Physical Sciences—Class I-Westmoore; Class II-Elk City; and Class III-Drummond and Sentinel.
- Social Sciences—Class I-Yukon; Class II-Chisholm; and Class III-Drummond.
- Technology—Class I-Mustang Mid High; Class II-Watonga; and Class III-Granite, Mountain View/Gotebo, and Navajo.
Individual winners by classes are: (click link below)