Public Relations & Marketing
News and Events
Weimer Wins DAISY Faculty Award
October 3, 2011
Tamra Weimer, MS, RN, CCRN, CNE, is the 2011 DAISY Faculty Award winner for Southwestern Oklahoma State University’s School of Nursing in Weatherford.
The award comes from the DAISY Foundation that was formed to honor the memory of Patrick Barnes, a young man who died of an autoimmune disorder in 2000. His family recognized the value of nurses during Barnes’ illness and chose to develop the DAISY Award.
Weimer was selected through a survey of 2010 SWOSU graduates who are now working as registered nurses. They were asked to reflect back on their nursing program and select the faculty member who:
- Demonstrated care and compassion with students, both in the classroom and in clinicals
- Provided an environment where students could freely express opinions and ideas in a respectful manner
- Was fair and unbiased in the treatment of individual students
- Displayed a personal interest in student learning
- Collaborated with the healthcare team to facilitate student learning in the patient care environment.
Weimer received a certificate of award and a sculpture called “A Healer’s Touch.” Barbara Patterson, associate dean of the SWOSU School of Nursing, said the sculpture is hand-carved and represents the unique relationship nurses have with their patients and teachers have with their students.