Public Relations & Marketing
News and Events
Tanner-Garrett Wins DAISY Nursing Faculty Award for SWOSU
June 1, 2012
Marcy Tanner-Garrett is the 2012 DAISY Faculty Award winner for the School of Nursing at Southwestern Oklahoma State University in Weatherford.
The award comes from the DAISY Foundation that was formed to honor the memory of Patrick Barnes, a young man who died of an autoimmune disorder in 2000. Dr. Barbara Patterson, associate dean of the SWOSU School of Nursing, said Barnes’ family recognized the value of nurses during his illness and chose to develop the DAISY Award.
Weimer was selected through a survey of 2011 SWOSU graduates who are now working as registered nurses. They were asked to reflect back on their nursing program and select the faculty member who:
- Demonstrated care and compassion with students, both in the classroom and in clinicals
- Provided an environment where students could freely express opinions and ideas in a respectful manner
- Was fair and unbiased in the treatment of individual students
- Displayed a personal interest in student learning
- Collaborated with the healthcare team to facilitate student learning in the patient care environment.
Tanner-Garrett received a certificate of award and a sculpture called “A Healer’s Touch.” Patterson said the sculpture is hand-carved and represents the unique relationship nurses have with their patients and teachers have with their students.