Public Relations & Marketing
News and Events
Conference Planned November 2 for Anyone Caring For and About Senior Citizens
October 26, 2012
The Southwest Area Health Education Center is co-sponsoring “On The Road,” a geriatric conference planned Friday, November 2, at Southwestern Oklahoma State University in Weatherford.
The conference is geared for nurses, social workers, OTs, PTs, pharmacists, counselors, health profession students and others who care for and about seniors.
The conference will be in the Memorial Student Center Ballroom on the SWOSU campus with registration starting at 8:30 a.m. and sessions beginning at 9 a.m. Admission is free.
“On The Road” will feature evidence-based geriatric education to improve the knowledge and skills of health care professionals who care for older clients and to supplement geriatric/gerontology content for health professions students. Topics will include “Misdiagnosis of Dementia,” “Medication Reconciliation,” “Palliative Care in the Acute Care Setting,” “Risk Management,” “Aging Simulation Sensitivity Training” and “Special Considerations in the Management of Acute and Chronic Pain in the Older Patient.”
Continuing education credits have been approved for many health professions. Six CEUs have been approved for social workers, home health administrators, LPCs and LMFTs. CEUs are pending for PTs, OTs and pharmacists.
- Brandi Fowler, MS, RHIA, Director, Health Information Management Program, SWOSU
- Omolara Henley, MA, Oklahoma Geriatric Education Center, OUHSC
- Meri Hix, PharmD, BCPS, CGP, Associate Professor, Department of Pharmacy Practice, SWOSU
- Jeanene Lindsay, Oklahoma Geriatric Education Center, OUHSC
- Sheryl Mapes, MPH, Oklahoma Geriatric Education Center, OUHSC
- Germaine Odenheimer, MD, Staff Physician, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Oklahoma City; Associate Professor, Donald W. Reynolds Department of Geriatric Medicine, OUHSC
- Marian Prichard, M.Ed, RHIA, Associate Dean, School of Allied Health Sciences, SWOSU
- Chris Rakunas, MBA, Director, Health Care Administration Program, SWOSU
- Mark Stratton , PharmD, BCPS, CGP, FASHP, Professor & Director of the Institute for Geriatric Pharmacy at the College of Pharmacy, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center
- Sally CrimTibbals, MS ACNS-BC
In addition to SWAHEC, the conference is sponsored by The Oklahoma Geriatric Education Center, SWOSU, Oklahoma Healthy Aging Initiative, Reynolds Department of Geriatric Medicine, Oklahoma Veteran’s Center – Clinton Division and Great Plains Regional Medical Center.
Pre-registration is recommended; to register, go to www.ouhsc.edu/okgec. For more information, contact Sheryl Mapes at firstname.lastname@example.org or (405) 271-8130 or Jenny Breeden at email@example.com or (580) 581-2792.