Public Relations & Marketing
News and Events
SWOSU Music Therapy Awareness Week Planned February 25-March 1
February 22, 2013
Southwestern Oklahoma State University Music Therapy Awareness Week 2013, organized by the SWOSU Music Therapy Student Association (SWOSU-MTSA), is being celebrated during the week of February 25-March 1 with the highlight of the celebration being the 6th annual Music Therapy Awareness Expo this Wednesday, February 27, from 4-5 p.m. in the Memorial Student Center Ballroom.
The Expo will be an introduction to a series of public awareness and celebrating events for the Oklahoma Music Therapy Month in March. Everyone is invited and encouraged to attend.
Dr. ChihChen Sophia Lee, MT-BC, director of the music therapy program at SWOSU, said the keynote speakers are Rachel West Nowels, MT-BC and, Brooke Roulet , MT-BC, both from the Children’s Center of Bethany and graduates of the SWOSU music therapy program. They will talk about the application of music therapy in pediatric and adolescent medical practices. Poster presentations by SWOSU music therapy students in the field studies will focus on the clinical applications of music therapy in early intervention, pediatric medicine & adolescent acute physical rehabilitation, school-age children with special needs and geriatrics.
Participants will also experience the power of music therapy via Drum Circle, an active music making technique of music therapy, instructed by SWOSU music therapy faculty member Yu-Chin Anthea Lin, MM, MT-BC and facilitated by SWOSU music therapy students.
"This is a wonderful hands-on event especially for high school students interested in pursuing music therapy as a career, a blooming profession in Oklahoma,” Lee said.
Events planned on the SWOSU campus each day to raise the awareness of the community to music therapy are:
- The SWOSU Music Therapy Student Association is now accepting submissions for a songwriting contest open to SWOSU students and community members until the end of Music Therapy Awareness Week; additional information concerning the contest may be found on the Facebook: Music Therapy Awareness Songwriting Contest.
- Monday and Tuesday from 12-1 p.m., bake sales and flyer distributions about facts of music therapy at the SWOSU Memorial Student Center
- Wednesday: Music Therapy Awareness Expo, 2nd Floor Ballroom, SWOSU Memorial Student Center, 4-5 p.m.
- Thursday: Music Therapy in Mental Health, featuring Beth Buehne Carr, MT-BC, a 2004 music therapy graduate of SWOSU and a music therapist at the North Texas State Hospital, Wichita Falls, and following the heartwarming film The Music Never Stopped”, Room 101,Berrong Hall, 7-9 p.m.
- Friday: The Open Mic Night + Award Ceremony for SWOSU Music Therapy Awareness Songwriting Contest Winners at The Cup (103 W Main St, Weatherford), 7-9 p.m.
SWOSU has the only music therapy program in the state of Oklahoma and is accredited by the National Association of School of Music and American Music Therapy Association. SWOSU graduates since 2002 have a near 100% passing rate on the National Board Certification Exam for Music Therapists. There are approximately 30 students in the SWOSU Music Therapy program and students are active in the regional and campus research affairs.
For additional information about the expo and other events of the SWOSU Music Therapy Awareness Week, contact Lee at (580) 774-3218.