Public Relations & Marketing
News and Events
Yukon, Weatherford and Corn Bible Academy Win Sweepstakes Titles at SWOSU Interscholastic Meet
March 29, 2013
Yukon, Weatherford and Corn Bible Academy high schools won sweepstakes titles at the 100th annual Southwestern Oklahoma State University Interscholastic Meet held March 28 on the Weatherford campus.
Yukon won the Class I title, Weatherford took top honors in Class II for the second straight year and Corn Bible Academy won Class III.
SWIM Director Shamus Moore said 74 schools and over 1,500 students from around Oklahoma competed in the academic contest, which has been a traditional event on the SWOSU campus since 1913. Moore said 2,259 tests were given during the day. Students who placed first in each of the test categories were awarded commemorative 100-year SWIM medals. Plaques awarded to high schools were redesigned to reflect the 100th anniversary.
The number of students enrolled in grades nine through 12 determines school class. Schools with 600 or more students are in Class I, 151 to 599 in Class II, and 150 and less in Class III.
In the sweepstakes competition, finishing second and third in Class I were Southmoore High School and Chickasha High School, respectively. In Class II, Elk City High School finished second, and Clinton High School and Cache High School tied for third place. In Class III, Drummond High School won second place, while Boone-Apache High School finished in third place.
School and individual winners were also announced in the nine different categories of competition which were: fine arts, biological sciences, business, computer science, language arts, mathematics, physical sciences, social sciences and technology.
School Winners are:
- Fine Arts—Class I-Southmoore; Class II- Weatherford; and Class III- (tie) Navajo, Boone-Apache and Thomas-Fay-Custer.
- Biological Sciences—Class I-Southmoore; Class II-Jones; and Class III-(tie) Carnegie and Seiling.
- Business—Class I-Yukon; Class II-(tie) Kingfisher and Weatherford; and Class III-Corn Bible Academy.
- Computer Science—Class I-Southmoore; Class II-Cache; and Class III-Boone-Apache.
- Language Arts—Class I-Yukon; Class II-Weatherford; and Class III-Drummond.
- Mathematics—Class I-Southmoore; Class II-Weatherford; and Class III-Corn Bible Academy.
- Physical Sciences—Class I-Southmoore; Class II-Elk City; and Class III-Okarche.
- Social Sciences—Class I-Yukon; Class II-Clinton; and Class III- Drummond.
- Technology—Class I-Yukon; Class II- Weatherford; and Class III-Corn Bible Academy.
Individual winners of the tests are: