Public Relations & Marketing
News and Events
SWOSU Biology Seniors Showcasing Works on April 22-24
April 19, 2013
Biology majors in the senior seminar course at Southwestern Oklahoma State University will present posters April 22-24 on the Weatherford campus.
The theme of this semester’s posters is “Celebrating 2000-2012 Nobel Laureates in Physiology or Medicine.”
The presentations will be held on the second floor of the Old Science Building. Posters will be available for viewing from 9 a.m. through 5 p.m. each day. Student authors will be available from 4-5 p.m. on Monday, April 22. The public is invited and encouraged to attend.
Poster topics and presenters are:
- 2012, Sir John B. Gurdon, Shinya Yamanaka Nobel Laureates"for the discovery that mature cells can be reprogrammed to become pluripotent" by Melissa Peters, Geary.
- 2011, Bruce A. Beutler, Jules A. Hoffmann, Ralph M. Steinman Nobel Laureates "for their discoveries concerning the activation of innate immunity" and the other half to Ralph M. Steinman "for his discovery of the dendritic cell and its role in adaptive immunity" by Maria Ortega, Guymon.
- 2010, Robert G. Edwards Nobel Laureate"for the development of in vitro fertilization" by Shannah Rider, Mustang.
- 2009, Elizabeth H. Blackburn, Carol W. Greider, Jack W. SzostakNobel Laureates "for the discovery of how chromosomes are protected by telomeres and the enzyme telomerase" by Kimberly Madrid, Lovington (NM).
- 2008, HaraldzurHausen, Françoise Barré-Sinoussi, Luc MontagnierNobel Laureates "for his discovery of human papilloma viruses causing cervical cancer", the other half jointly to Françoise Barré-Sinoussi and Luc Montagnier"for their discovery of human immunodeficiency virus"by Kasey McFalls, Okmulgee.
- 2007, Mario R. Capecchi, Sir Martin J. Evans, Oliver Smithies Nobel Laureates "for their discoveries of principles for introducing specific gene modifications in mice by the use of embryonic stem cells" by Brittany Stamper, Beggs.
- 2006, Andrew Z. Fire, Craig C. Mello "for their discovery of RNA interference - gene silencing by double-stranded RNA"by Ashley Rodriguez, Arapaho-Butler.
- 2005, Barry J. Marshall, J. Robin Warren Nobel Laureates "for their discovery of the bacterium Helicobacter pylori and its role in gastritis and peptic ulcer disease" by Megan Willis, Spur (TX).
- 2004, Richard Axel, Linda B. Buck Nobel Laureates “for their discoveries of odorant receptors and the organization of the olfactory system" by Jasmine Lewis, Muskogee.
- 2003, Paul C. Lauterbur, Sir Peter Mansfield Nobel Laureates"for their discoveries concerning magnetic resonance imaging" by Lauren Lee, Garland (TX).
- 2002, Sydney Brenner, H. Robert Horvitz, John E. Sulston Nobel Laureates "for their discoveries concerning genetic regulation of organ development and programmed cell death'" by Nathan Bernhardt, Thomas-Fay-Custer.
- 2000, ArvidCarlsson, Paul Greengard, Eric R. KandelNobel Laureates "for their discoveries concerning signal transduction in the nervous system" by Monte Stone, Oklahoma City (Putnam City).