Public Relations & Marketing
News and Events
SWOSU-Sayre Literary Festival Accepting Authors and Vendors
September 13, 2013
A literary festival is planned in October on the Sayre campus of Southwestern Oklahoma State University and authors/vendors are invited to take part in the varied activities.
“Noteworthy Oklahomans” is the theme of the October 9 event that is free and open to the public. The festival’s agenda includes:
- Workshops by noted authors, editors, photographers, educators and publishers from the western Oklahoma region.
- Entertainment that will feature a one-act play called “The Wedding” written by SWOSU’s Landry Brewer and performed by Heart of Western Oklahoma Homeschoolers (HWOH) with two performances.
- An Open Mic session in the evening where anyone can share original poetry, recite memorized poetry, read an excerpt from a book, or even play guitar and sing. (This will be held off campus at Gallery@112, located in downtown Sayre on East Main Street).
- A free lunch will be provided by the Sayre Rotary Club to all @ 12:00 to 1:30 p.m.
Vendors are welcome to participate. Authors are invited to set up tables to sell and autograph their books. For booth space reservations or to seek more information, call 580-928-5527 ext. 128. All workshops will be held on the SWOSU-Sayre Campus. The line-up for the workshops is:
- 9 a.m.
- Student Panel Discussion – noteworthy inspirations – moderator Dr. Jerry Nye
- Vote on Best Literary Videos – hosted by Vive Vide
- 10 a.m.
- Noteworthy Oklahomans & Authors – presented by Dr. Jerry Nye
- 11 a.m.
- Tribal gaming & Tribal College – literary connection by Alden Whiteman, V.P. for Development & Planning for the Cheyenne-Arapaho Tribal College
- “John Steinbeck was wrong about Oklahoma” – presented by noted Oklahoma author, Bob Burke
- 12 Noon and 12:45 p.m.
- “The Wedding” – A one-act play performed by HWOH.
- 1:30 p.m.
- Researching Oklahomans & Oklahoma Images – presented by Jan Davis of Oklahoma Department of Libraries.
- 5 – 7 p.m.
- Open Mic Night at Gallery@112