Public Relations & Marketing
News and Events
SWOSU Students Selected as Orientation Leaders
April 1, 2014
Forty-eight Southwestern Oklahoma State University students were recently selected to serve as orientation leaders (OLs) on the Weatherford campus.
As OLs, the students will serve as mentors in this fall’s five-week freshman orientation courses taught by SWOSU faculty, administration and staff. The students are already involved and responsible for a large part of the orientation sessions for incoming freshmen. The students will also help facilitate Dawg Day activities held during the first few weeks of the fall semester.
The orientation leaders were selected through a competitive application and interview process.
The students are enrolled in a two-hour leadership course this spring taught by New Student Orientation (NSO) Coordinator Jessica Skinner and NSO staff members Taler Sawatzky and Trent Misak.
The OLs are:
- FORT SMITH-(Southside)—Christopher Pham.
- ARKANSAS CITY—Ashley McPherson.
- ALTUS-(Navajo)—Morgan Brian;
- ANADARKO—Khalil Barnes;
- BETHEL—Katelynn Black;
- BIG PASTURE—Donnie Beckham; Darien Kuykendall;
- DAVENPORT—Keegan Coon;
- DURANT —Katheryn Prentice;
- GUYMON— Jill Anderson; Taylor Anderson; Sabrina Rivera; Adriana Walker;
- INOLA—Erick Welch;
- LOOKEBA-SICKLES— Haley Davis; Kayli Keener; Kaydee Lindley;
- KINGFISHER—Dillon Heskett;
- MEDFORD—Tanner Misak;
- MOORE—Shelby Stapleton; Allison Truong;
- MOORELAND—Jacy Gillenwaters;
- MUSTANG—Sierra Dove; Andrew Le;
- OKLAHOMA CITY—Tina Le; Natalie Nash;
- OKLAHOMA CITY-(Westmoore)—Kristie Ton-That; Jonathan Tran;
- OKLAHOMA CITY- (Western Heights)—Jeffery Bright;
- PIEDMONT—Shelby Hensley;
- REYDON—Emily Hartley;
- RYAN—Caleb Good;
- TULSA–(Bishop Kelley)—Kim Claybaugh;
- TULSA-(Union)—Andrew Burns;
- WEATHERFORD—Emily Barron; Sarah Barton; Miranda Deevers; Bethany Hawkins; Tyler Steinly;
- YUKON—Kelsey Cloyd.
The NSO program offers additional leadership roles to selected students through the Advisory Board. In addition to fulfilling the duties of an orientation leader, members of the Advisory Board meet weekly and play a greater role in planning orientation and training sessions. The members serve as liaisons between the OLs and NSO staff. The members of the Advisory Board are Kajal Bhakta, (Student Orientation Session) and Erin Benton (Family Orientation Session), both from Mustang.
The first NSO session for incoming freshmen was April 2. Additional NSO orientation sessions are April 17th, June 9th, July 14th and August 15th. Students must first apply and be accepted to SWOSU before they can attend an orientation session. Each of the orientation sessions offers students the chance to meet current SWOSU students and new freshmen, visit and enroll with a faculty advisor within the major they have selected, and have all their questions answered. They may also take campus and residence hall tours.