Two SWOSU Foundation Trustees Honored for 25 Years of Service
The Board of Trustees of the Southwestern Oklahoma State University Foundation met recently on the Weatherford campus, and two of the trustees—Dr. William G. Bernhardt of Midwest City and Everett Dobson of Oklahoma City—were honored for serving 25 years on the board.
“SWOSU is a stronger university because of alumni and supporters like Bill Bernhardt and Everett Dobson,” said SWOSU Foundation Executive Director Garrett King. “The Foundation will soon mark its 40th year of providing private resources to SWOSU, and these two great men have guided us for a quarter century of that time. We are truly grateful to Bernhardt and Dobson for their extraordinary service to Southwestern.”
Bernhardt and his wife, Theta Juan, have been long-time supporters of the university and established the coveted Bernhardt Award for Academic Excellence that is bestowed each year on an outstanding faculty member at SWOSU.
Bernhardt spent his entire medical career in the Midwest City area. Bernhardt was admitted to the SWOSU Distinguished Alumni Hall of Fame in 1991 and is a lifetime member of the SWOSU Alumni Association. Bernhardt graduated in 1947 and 1948, receiving a B.S. degree in Biological Sciences and Chemistry in 1947 and a B.S. degree in Pharmacy in 1948.
Bernhardt currently sits on the Foundation’s Corporate Governance Committee and the Property Committee.
Dobson has been instrumental in the development and success of many projects on the Weatherford campus. Dobson and his wife, Jeanetta, have generously donated funds to establish five endowed chairs that benefit the Everett Dobson School of Business & Technology. In 2000, Dobson became the youngest benefactor among Oklahoma’s endowed chair programs at universities when he established SWOSU’s first endowed chair ($250,000) with the SWOSU Foundation, Inc.
Dobson earned his Bachelor of Arts degree in economics from SWOSU and was a four-year golf letterman at SWOSU and three-time all-conference selection. He was inducted into SWOSU’s Athletic Hall of Fame in 1996 and the SWOSU Distinguished Alumni Hall of Fame in 2000. He continues to support the SWOSU golf program and recently donated funds to build a practice facility for the teams.
Dobson currently serves as the Foundation’s 2nd Vice-Chair.
The SWOSU Foundation was established in 1977 to promote philanthropy and distribute funds to support the activities and programs of SWOSU. Located on the Weatherford campus in the historic Burton House, the Foundation currently stewards over $20 million in assets for the benefit of SWOSU. For more information, visit swosu.edu/foundation or call 580-774-3267.