SWOSU Campus Security
General Responsibilities for Faculty and Staff
- Every Faculty will become familiar with the various locations of alarm signals (pull stations, etc.) and react immediately, calmly, and appropriately. If evacuation is necessary, make sure that the process is as orderly and prompt as possible. Also make sure all windows and doors are closed and that the students are relocated to the designated area appropriate to the nature of the emergency.
- Every Faculty will have their class rosters with them at all times during an emergency. The rosters will include a listing of all students enrolled.
- If a hazard to the safety of students is identified, or if students are in danger in any way, the first priority of Faculty will be to take whatever action is prudent or necessary to the safety of the students. The second priority will be to notify the Campus officer as soon as possible. The University plan of action will provide assistance.
- Faculty will not leave students unattended under any circumstances.
- Any Faculty (trained in CPR and First Aid) will go to any part of the campus where students are reported to be injured - if, and only if, he/she is not attending to students. His/Her major responsibility will be to apply first aid to the injured. A well-stocked portable first-aid kit is kept in all University Bldgs. at all times. (Be aware of the location of the first aid kit in your building.)
- All Staff not immediately responsible for students will go to the main office of the building at the outset of an emergency to receive direction from the designated person.
The Campus Officer or other designee will supervise all emergency procedures during the initial stages of the emergency. As soon as the nature of the emergency is identified, the Officer on the scene will make sure:
- That the appropriate alarm is sounded.
- That procedures to ensure the safety of the students and faculty/staff are being exercised.
- That proper authorities and agencies are notified.
- The internal communication channels are established within the building and campus wide.
- That planned role assignments are reinforced.
- That external communications are established.
- That administrator/designee will be on site during emergency.