SWOSU Campus Security
The Campus Watch Program
The SWOSU Campus Security believes everyone in the campus community has the right to expect a safe environment. But, a "get tough" approach with increased police visibility is not always enough.
THERE IS AN ALTERNATIVE - AND THAT IS: "CAMPUS WATCH ".
CAMPUS WATCH asks for your help by looking out for each other's welfare; to be alert to anything that threatens the quality of campus life, and to report all suspicious activities, emergencies, and other concerns to someone who can take action.
CAMPUS WATCH challenges you to be part of the community, not the bystander who refuses to get involved.
What to Do
Be Aware, on the Lookout, and Report
- A tense situation that's about to blow up.
- Any unusual noise that you can't explain - screams, breaking glass, pounding, or a shot.
- Any emergency, such as an accident, a fire, a critically ill or injured person.
- Anyone being forced into a vehicle.
- Property being carried out of an office or area you know is not occupied.
- Recently broken windows, or doors.
- Someone running from a vehicle, building, or area while carrying property.
- Any form of vandalism - such as: spray painting a sign or building; graffiti; removing benches or signs; pulling up or removing plants and shrubbery.
- Any abandoned vehicles on campus.
- Someone looking into building windows, or windows of parked vehicles.
- A vehicle driving slowly, and aimlessly, back and forth on a street, or in a parking lot.
- Door-to-door solicitors without properly issued local permits, or licenses, and without authority from the Office of Administrative Affairs or Provost.
- Someone loitering around the buildings hallways, or other campus areas, with no clear purpose.
- Overgrown shrubs, tall weeds, or trees that could harbor a potential perpetrator of a criminal nature.
- Dim lighting in and around buildings, parking lots, pathways, and sidewalks.
REMEMBER: If what you see worries you, SWOSU Campus Security needs to know about it. We would rather be called, and not needed, than needed, and not called.
When you alert SWOSU Campus Security, be prepared to say
- What happened,
- When and where it happened, and
- Whether anyone is or was injured.
And if appropriate obtain vehicle tag numbers, and description; direction of travel; description of any suspects, and whether any weapons are, or were involved.
It would be a good idea to write information, and details down on a piece of paper, as soon as possible, so it can be related to the responding officers, or to police communications.
LET'S MAKE IT WORK!
SWOSU Campus Security cannot be in all places, at all times. With the help of an involved, caring, and alert campus community, a more secure and healthier community will prevail.
SWOSU CAMPUS SECURITY
EMERGENCY - 9-911
(580.) 928-5527 Ext. 106
NON-EMERGENCY – (580.) 928-5533