The goal is to maintain calm and order and not disrupt the classroom or office area any more than necessary. Students will not be alerted unless necessary for their safety.
- Stop any stranger and inquire as to his/her business in the building.
- If not there on “normal” school business the Campus Officer should be called while the individual is detained.
- If in a classroom, call the Campus Officer for help.
- If shots are fired, evacuate students to safest position away from the intruder and notify Campus Officer or 9-911 immediately.
Call the Campus Officer (x106), “The intruder is in Room #_____”. Update with a new location if the intruder moves.
STEPS OF ACTION:
Depending on the situation, the Campus Officer will take appropriate action.
- When calling Campus Officer advise if there is a weapon, and what kind. Try to give a description of the person by noting clothing, gender, race, etc.
- Take students into protected classrooms.
- Check restrooms and vacant rooms.
- Lock classroom door with keys, if possible.
- Move students away from doors and glass.
- If necessary help evacuate students. Ensure all doors are locked. Stay with and protect students, provide first aid, and take roll.
- Call Campus Officer 9-911.
- Provide first aid and assist with evacuation, if necessary.
- Lock outside doors.
LOCK DOWN PROCEDURES:
The following are guidelines to be used for emergency lock down.
- Chairpersons/Custodians with a door lock down responsibility will go immediately to the doors and take the needed steps to assure that it is secure.
- Students who are outside will be directed to go to the nearest building by a staff member who can see them. They are to remain there until an “All Clear” signal is given.