Provisional Admission Requirements
Southwestern Oklahoma State University at Sayre can accommodate only a limited number of international students and therefore requires a high academic background achievement and a high level of English proficiency for admissions consideration.
First-Time Entering Freshmen
- Before being considered for admission as a first time freshman, the applicant must provide the Office of Admissions with a certification that s(he) earned a minimum TOEFL score of 500 and a satisfactory ACT or SAT score.
- International student applicants must provide a financial certificate on a university-provided form showing sufficient resources to pay for the student's entire program of study and living expenses. A deposit it required at the time of application.
- Application deadlines for international students are June 1 for fall semesters, October 1 for spring semesters, and March 1 for summer semesters.
- The student is responsible for notifying the Admissions Office and personally seeing that correct forms are supplied to the Immigration Service at the proper time. The I-20 and I-538 forms are kept in supply, but the student must provide other necessary forms required for the course of study.
- Any foreign student under a student visa is required to pay non-resident tuition and fee costs each semester while at Southwestern Oklahoma State University.
- It is assumed by the required financial statement that resources are adequate, and the foreign student will not ordinarily be permitted to work while a student at Southwestern Oklahoma State University.
- Financial aid is not ordinarily available to foreign students at Southwestern Oklahoma State University and should not be expected.
- Evaluation of foreign college and university transcripts cannot be made prior to a student's enrollment. At the student's request, an effort will be made during the first year to give a fair evaluation of credits felt to be equal to those at Southwestern Oklahoma State University. Generally, however, the student will be asked to substantiate such credit with CLEP (College Level Exam Program) tests or departmentally prepared Advanced Standing tests. Southwestern Oklahoma State University will accept credits which have been evaluated and posted to the student's transcript by a regionally accredited U.S. institution from which the student transfers as long as these credits are in keeping with institutional policies.
- A non-citizen who has attained a "permanent" resident immigrant status, and whose citizenship is pending, will be treated as a U.S. citizen for admission purposes. The regular admissions criteria for in-state or out-of-state students, as applicable, would then apply. (Students for whom English is a second language will be required to prove English proficiency.)
- Medical insurance is required.
Transfer Students from Accredited U.S. Institutions
- International students seeking transfer from accredited U.S. Institutions must have a grade point average of 2.0 (on a 4.0 scale) in all hours attempted and meet other specified requirements to be considered for admission.
- International Students must show English Proficiency as specified above.
- International students must provide a financial certificate, as specified above.
- A deposit is required, as specified above.