The principal purpose of the Department of Education is to provide the necessary background in professional education for the development of competencies which will contribute to successful teaching, administration, and supervision in the elementary and secondary schools. The Department of Education is NCATE accredited.
The training of teachers for a system of public schools was the original mission of the institution that would eventually become Southwestern Oklahoma State University. Teacher education continues to be central to the foundation of the University evidenced by the fact that there are consistent undergraduate education majors and numbers of graduate students pursuing the Master of Education degree or additional certifications.
As the nature of teaching and the demands upon individuals within the profession have evolved, the teacher education program has worked to continue serving our field of Education at large, and assists the regional public schools in meeting their need for competent certified teachers.
The Department of Education is fully accredited by the Office of Educational Quality and Accountability (OEQA) and the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (Transitioning to CAEP, Council for Accreditation of Educator Preparation). In October 2015 the Unit Accreditation Board of NCATE approved the continuation of accreditation of the Department of Education at SWOSU at the initial and advanced levels until the next on-site review. Our initial site visit with CAEP is set for March 2020.
The faculty and staff of the Department of Education is well qualified with many years of public school experience. We are proud of the students that graduate from our programs, and our partners in public education speak highly of our graduates who become teachers, counselors, administrators, school psychologists, and Psychometrists in their schools.
We are very proud of the tradition and excellence that permeates the preparation of our teachers. If you have questions please feel free to contact me or one of our faculty members for further information.
Federal Title II Reporting Statement
In October 1998, the U. S. Congress enacted Title II of the Higher Education Act. Southwestern Oklahoma State University participates fully in Federal Title II Reporting in regard to teacher preparation. Title II information is available to the public upon request from:
Dr. Chad Kinder, Dean, College of Professional and Graduate Studies
Dr. Chad Kinder, Dean
College of Professional and Graduate Studies
Southwestern Oklahoma State University
100 Campus Drive
Weatherford, Oklahoma 73096
Office of Educational Quality and Accountability
Foundations of Education
- Teacher Candidate Disposition Rubric
- Field Experience Packet
- Field Experience Packet Rubric
- Time Log
- Log A
- Log B
- Log C
- Diversity Table
- Foundations of Education Handbook
Specialized Professional Associations
- Early Childhood – National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC)
- Education Administration – National Educational Leadership Preparation (NELP)
- Elementary – Association for Childhood Education International (ACEI)
- Health and Physical Education – SHAPE America (formerly NASPE)
- Language Arts – The National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE)
- Mathematics – National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM)
- Media & Technology – International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE)
- Music – National Association of Schools of Music (NASM)
- Natural Sciences – National Science Teachers Association (NSTA)
- Reading – The International Reading Association (IRA)
- School Counseling -American School Counselor Association (ASCA)
- School Psychology – National Association of School Psychologists (NASP)
- Social Sciences – The National Council for the Social Studies (NCSS)
- Special Education – Council for Exceptional Children (CEC)