Southmoore, Weatherford and Drummond Win Sweepstakes at SWOSU Interscholastic Meet
Southmoore, Weatherford and Drummond high schools won sweepstakes titles at the 105th annual Southwestern Oklahoma State University Interscholastic Meet held March 29 on the Weatherford campus.
Southmoore won the Class I title, Weatherford took top honors in Class II for the eighth straight year and Drummond won Class III for the fourth straight year.
SWIM Director Taler Alexander said 64 schools from around Oklahoma competed in the academic contest, which has been a traditional event on the SWOSU campus since 1913. Alexander said around 2,378 tests were given during the day.
Other top finishers in the sweepstakes competition were: Class I—Putnam City High School, second place; and Guymon High School, third. Class II—Elk City High School, second; and Chisholm High School, third. Class III—Corn Bible Academy, second; and Thomas-Fay-Custer High School, third.
The number of students enrolled in grades nine through 12 determines school class. Schools with 600 or more students are in Class I, 151 to 599 in Class II, and 150 and less in Class III.
School and individual winners were also announced in the nine different categories of competition, which were: fine arts, biological sciences, business, computer science, language and literature, mathematics, physical sciences, social sciences and technology. In Class II, Weatherford High School won first place in every category.
School Winners are:
- Fine Arts—Class I-(tie) Putnam City and Altus; Class II- Weatherford; and Class III- Thomas-Fay-Custer.
- Biological Sciences—Class I-Southmoore; Class II-Weatherford; and Class III-Drummond.
- Business—Class I-Southmoore; Class II-Kingfisher; and Class III-Drummond.
- Computer Science—Class I-Southmoore; Class II-Weatherford; and Class III-Laverne.
- Language and Literature—Class I-Putnam City; Class II-Weatherford; and Class III-Thomas-Fay-Custer.
- Mathematics—Class I-Southmoore; Class II-Weatherford; and Class III-Burns Flat-Dill City.
- Physical Sciences—Class I-(tie) Putnam City, Woodward and Southmoore; Class II-Weatherford; and Class III-Canute.
- Social Sciences—Class I-Putnam City; Class II-(tie) Elk City and Weatherford; and Class III-Cheyenne.
- Technology—Class I-Guymon; Class II-(tie) Elk City and Weatherford; and Class III-Corn Bible Academy.
Individual and school winners can be found here: http://www.swosu.edu/admissions/swim/results.aspx