SWOSU Offering Non-Traditional Route to Special Education Teacher Certification
The Southwestern Oklahoma State University Department of Education has been designated as a “Special Education Boot Camp Provider” by the State Department of Education. SWOSU offers the 10-hour boot camp courses online every summer.
Due to a teacher shortage in special education, Oklahoma House Bill 1233 provides for a non-traditional route to special education teacher certification. Potential applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Earned any four-year degree from an institution of higher education
- Have a grade point average of 2.75 or higher from a previous degree program
- Recommendation from a representative at an institution of higher education
- Pass a national background check
- Commit to complete a Master’s Degree or certification in special education
Interested candidates must make application through the SWOSU Department of Education.
SWOSU will offer summer boot camp courses in a blended format; the coursework will be completed online and candidates will be required to attend three online meetings using ZOOM, SWOSU’s platform for distance learning classes. Dates will be provided upon enrollment. The remaining courses in the M.Ed. program will also be offered in an online and/or blended format.
Any school district that has hosted a SWOSU student teacher in the last two years could allow individuals to be eligible for a half-price tuition credit that is offered to cooperating teachers.
For additional information, contact Dr. Tracy Henry at email@example.com or 580.774.3197.