SWOSU Celebrating Music Therapy Awareness Week
Southwestern Oklahoma State University’s Music Therapy Awareness Week 2019 will be celebrated from Saturday, February 9, through Friday, February 15, on the Weatherford campus with the highlight being an awareness expo.
The 12th annual Music Therapy Awareness Expo will be held on Wednesday, February 13, from 4-5 p.m. in the Memorial Student Center Grand Ballroom. Everyone is invited and admission is free.
Dr. ChihChen Sophia Lee, LPMT, MT-BC, professor and director of SWOSU music therapy program, said participants will experience the power of music therapy via Drum Circle, an active music making technique of music therapy, facilitated by SWOSU music therapy students. Musicians of melodic instruments are encouraged to bring their instruments along for the experience.
Music therapists practicing in Oklahoma are invited to serve as the honored guests for the expo. Upper class music therapy students will also showcase their clinical practices in early intervention, pediatric medicine, school-age children and adolescents with special needs, adolescent acute physical rehabilitation, at-risk youth adult physical rehabilitation, women and children experiencing domestic violence, and geriatrics via oral and poster presentations.
The activities are organized by the SWOSU Music Therapy Student Association (SWOSU-MTSA).
Additional celebratory events include:
- Music Therapy Open House (Registration on line at https://SWOSU.formstack.com/form/music_therapy_open_house_2021) from 9 a.m. until 3 p.m. on February 9 and featuring guest lecturer Hong-Yu Joseph Chang, MME, MT-BC, rehabilitation music therapist at the Coalinga State Hospital in California
- Book display at the Al Harris Library
- Movie night on Monday, February 11, at 7 p.m. at 108 Belle Becker Building
- Music Therapy Public Awareness and fundraising events from 9 a.m. until 12 noon on Tuesday and Thursday to partially assist with funds for attendance to the Southwestern Region of American Music Therapy Association Annual Conference on March 28-30, 2019 in Georgetown (TX)
- Open Mic Night on Friday at 7 p.m. at Rx Brew
SWOSU has the longest standing music therapy undergraduate and equivalency/certification programs in the state of Oklahoma (approved by the former National Association for Music Therapy in 1981) and is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music and American Music Therapy Association. The Master of Music in Music Therapy has received the approval by the National Association of Schools of Music in 2016.
There are currently over 50 students in the SWOSU music therapy programs. Location of the SWOSU Music Therapy Center is located at 103 Davis, featuring spaces for 1:1 and small group music therapy services provided by three music therapy faculty members and a graduate assistant, all national board-certified music therapists.
For additional information about the expo and music therapy degree plans, contact Lee at 580.774.3218.