SWOSU Receives 2019 Davis-McElmurry Distribution of Funds
Bonnie McElmurry; Wilma (Davis) McElmurry (SWOSU Class of 1940); SWOSU Foundation, Inc. Executive Director Garrett King and C.B. Graft (SWOSU Class of 1963 and 2018 Distinguished Alumnus), Testamentary Trustee of the Davis-McElmurry Estate, meet regularly to evaluate the ongoing support SWOSU receives from the Davis-McElmurry Testamentary Trust.
Southwestern Oklahoma State University (SWOSU) with locations in Weatherford and Sayre has received its annual distribution from the Davis-McElmurry Testamentary Trust. The trust provides much-needed resources each year to the university for scholarships.
Wilma (Davis) McElmurry of rural Custer County near Custer City passed away in 2005 at the age of 89 and designated SWOSU, Oklahoma Medical Research Foundation and Clinton Public Schools as beneficiaries of income from her charitable trust.
Each institution receives perpetual payments from the trust. Since April 2007, the trust has provided just under $818,000 to SWOSU to provide scholarships for needy students. At SWOSU, the awards are known as the Davis-McElmurry Scholarships.
“SWOSU continues to be extremely appreciative of this most generous gift,” said SWOSU President Dr. Randy L. Beutler. “Bulldogs today and tomorrow benefit from the thoughtfulness of the McElmurry Family.”
McElmurry earmarked 1/3 of the trust to SWOSU, 1/2 to the OMRF and 1/6 to Clinton Public Schools. The gifts to SWOSU and Clinton Public Schools are to be used for scholarships, while the OMRF is to use proceeds for heart and cancer research.
Both McElmurry and her husband, Bonnie, were long-time teachers at Clinton Public Schools. Mrs. McElmurry was a 1940 SWOSU graduate. After retiring from teaching, they lived on the family farm north of Custer City where they became very active in farming.
Mrs. McElmurry graduated from Independence High School in 1933. She took a postgraduate course at Custer High School in 1934 and entered Southwestern State College in 1936. McElmurry taught at Arapaho until 1956 and then at Clinton until 1973. Mr. McElmurry graduated from Lake Valley School and attended Southwestern State College. He graduated from Oklahoma State University. He started teaching at Arapaho in 1938 where he was principal for six years and superintendent for nine years. He later taught driver’s education classes at Clinton until his retirement.
SWOSU’s share of the Davis-McElmurry charitable distribution is stewarded by the SWOSU Foundation, Inc. The Foundation was established in 1977 to promote philanthropy and distribute funds to support the activities and programs of SWOSU. Located on the Weatherford campus in the historic Burton House, the Foundation currently manages over $25 million in assets for the benefit of SWOSU. For more information, please call 580-774-3267 or visit www.SWOSUFoundation.com.