SWOSU Foundation, Inc., Trustees Convene for Fall 2019 Session
The Board of Trustees of the Southwestern Oklahoma State University (SWOSU) Foundation, Inc. recently convened for a regularly scheduled November business meeting in the Timothy T. Day Business Enterprise Center at SWOSU’s Weatherford location.
The trustees heard reports from SWOSU President Dr. Randy L. Beutler and SWOSU Associate Provost Dr. Joel Kendall. Additionally, the Trustees heard reports from SWOSU Assistant to the President and Director of Institutional Advancement Garrett King, who also serves as executive director of the Foundation and its subsidiary associations.
Departing Trustees who were commended and thanked for their generosity and service to SWOSU included:
- William Bernhardt of Midwest City, a trustee from 1990 to 2019, SWOSU Classes of 1947 and 1948, inducted into the SWOSU Distinguished Alumni Hall of Fame in 1991 and into the SWOSU Presidential Order of Merit in 2015
- Everett Dobson of Oklahoma City, a trustee from 1990 to 2019, SWOSU Class of 1981, inducted into the SWOSU Athletic Hall of Fame in 1996, SWOSU Distinguished Alumni Hall of Fame in 2000 and into the SWOSU Presidential Order of Merit in 2015
- Carl Hook of Norman, a trustee from 2009 to 2019, SWOSU Class of 1967, inducted into the SWOSU Distinguished Alumni Hall of Fame in 2019
Outgoing Trustees Chair Dianne Hunter of Edmond, SWOSU Class of 1986, was commended and thanked for her service over the past two-year leadership term. In November 2017, Hunter was the seventh person and first woman to be named Foundation Trustees Chair since the Foundation’s incorporation in May 1977.
During their meeting, trustees adopted the Foundation Fiscal Year 2020 Budget Resolution as well as amendments to the Foundation Scholarships Policy. The Trustees also noted positive developments over the course of the current two-year leadership term including:
- A 34% increase in philanthropic revenues to the Foundation;
- A 46% increase in the number of philanthropic gifts to the Foundation;
- A 67% increase in the number of philanthropic donors to the Foundation;
- A 19% increase in the valuation of the SWOSU Athletic Association support to SWOSU and a 45% increase in the number of association members; and,
- A 49% increase in the valuation of Foundation scholarships support provided to SWOSU students.
The trustees also elected new officers and committee chairs. Foundation leaders named by the trustees for the Fall 2019 – Fall 2021 leadership term include:
CHAIR – George Cohlmia of Oklahoma City, SWOSU Class of 1974
1st VICE-CHAIR/CHAIR-DESIGNATE – Bryan Evans of Edmond, SWOSU Class of 1998, also named chair of the Corporate Governance & Nominating Committee
2nd VICE-CHAIR – Brice Harris of Fair Oaks (CA), SWOSU Class of 1970, also retained as chair of the Scholarships & Grants Committee
SECRETARY – Philip Busey, Jr. of Oklahoma City, SWOSU Class of 2004, also retained as chair of the Development Committee
TREASURER – Bruce Magill of Weatherford, SWOSU Class of 1970
PAST CHAIR – Dianne Hunter of Edmond, SWOSU Class of 1986
CHAIR OF THE INVESTMENTS COMMITTEE – Michael Hart of Edmond, SWOSU Class of 2006
CHAIR OF THE AUDIT COMMITTEE – Judy Wilkes of Oklahoma City, SWOSU Class of 1976 (retained from previous leadership term)
CHAIR OF THE FINANCE COMMITTEE – James Keehn of Edmond, SWOSU Class of 1996
CHAIR OF THE PROPERTY COMMITTEE – Debbie Shepherd of Weatherford, SWOSU Class of 1979 (retained from previous leadership term)
Additional seated trustees of the Foundation include:
- E. Vann Greer Andrews of Oklahoma City, SWOSU Class of 1960
- Lori Baker Boyd of Yukon, SWOSU Class of 1997
- Jeff DeFehr of Weatherford, SWOSU Class of 1990
- David Ferrell of Amber, SWOSU Class of 1995
- Juan Garcia of Clinton, SWOSU Class of 2002
- Lynda Lucas of Cheyenne, SWOSU Class of 1981
- Mark Russell of Elk City, SWOSU Class of 1986
- Homer Ryan of Frederick, SWOSU Class of 1963
- Nelson Sims of Key Largo (FL), SWOSU Class of 1971
An institutionally-related charitable entity, the SWOSU Foundation, Inc. was established in 1977 to promote philanthropy, award scholarships and distribute funds to support the activities and programs of SWOSU. Located on the Weatherford campus in the historic Burton House, the Foundation currently stewards over $25 million in assets for the benefit of SWOSU.
The Foundation Trustees serve as the overall governing and fiduciary body for the Foundation proper as well as for the Foundation’s two subsidiaries, the SWOSU Alumni Association and the SWOSU Athletic Association.
For more information, please contact the SWOSU Office of Institutional Advancement at 580-774-3267 or visit www.SWOSUFoundation.com.
New SWOSU Foundation, Inc. Chair George Cohlmia thanks departing Trustee Carl Hook of Norman for his service.
New SWOSU Foundation, Inc. Chair George Cohlmia thanks departing Trustee William Bernhardt of Midwest City for his service. With the pair is Bernhardt’s daughter Valerie Bernhardt Lorenz.
New SWOSU Foundation, Inc. Chair George Cohlmia thanks outgoing Chair Dianne Hunter of Edmond for her service.