SWOSU Celebrating Music Therapy Awareness Week
Southwestern Oklahoma State University’s Music Therapy Awareness Week 2020 will be celebrated from Monday, February 24, through Friday, February 28, on the Weatherford campus with highlights being an awareness expo on Wednesday, February 26, and a music therapy open house on Saturday, March 7.
The 13th annual Music Therapy Awareness Expo on February will be held from 4-5 p.m. in the Memorial Student Center Ballroom. Everyone is invited and admission is free.
Dr. ChihChen Sophia Lee, LPMT, MT-BC, professor and director of SWOSU music therapy program, said participants will experience the power of music therapy via Drum Circle, an active music making technique of music therapy, facilitated by SWOSU music therapy students. Musicians of melodic instruments are encouraged to bring their instruments along for the experience.
SWOSU Music Therapy Alum and Instructor Didier Khoo, MM, LPMT, MT-BC is the keynote speaker for the expo. Upper class music therapy students will also showcase their clinical practices in early intervention, pediatric medicine, school-age children and adolescents with special needs, adolescent acute physical rehabilitation, at-risk youth adult physical rehabilitation, women and children experiencing domestic violence, and geriatrics via oral and poster presentations.
The activities are organized by the SWOSU Music Therapy Student Association (SWOSU-MTSA).
Additional celebratory events include:
- Book Display at the Al Harris Library through the month of March
- Monday, February 24: cereal bar fundraising for SWAMTA Regional Conference at the Fine Arts Center lobby, 9 a.m.-2 p.m.; “Why Do You Want to Be a Music Therapist” featuring the SWOSU music therapy students, alumni, and faculty members at the Belle Becker Building Room 108, 7 PM
- Tuesday, February 25: bake sales for SWAMTA Regional Conference & “Sharing Your Favorite Music Therapy Moments” at the Fine Arts Center lobby, 9 a.m.-2 p.m.
- Wednesday, February 26: silent basket auctions at the Fine Arts Center lobby
- Thursday, February 27: Open Mic Night at Berrong Music Hall Room 101, 9 a.m.-2 p.m.
- Friday, February 28: drink bar at the Fine Arts Center lobby, 9 a.m.-2 p.m.; movie night at Belle Becker Building Room 108, 7 p.m.
- Saturday, March 7: Music Therapy Open House at the Fine Arts Building Room 102 and Berrong Music Hall 118, 9 a.m.-3 p.m.; Registration form available at https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeuggmStEYKuLdy85LnuDmunQPzkJrtIR_GE1SCq3-6u3r7sw/viewform or onsite
SWOSU has the longest standing music therapy undergraduate and equivalency/certification programs in the state of Oklahoma (approved by the former National Association for Music Therapy in 1981) and is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music and American Music Therapy Association. The Master of Music in Music Therapy received approval by the National Association of Schools of Music in 2016.
There are currently over 50 students in the SWOSU music therapy programs. Location of the SWOSU Music Therapy Center is located at 301 East Davis, featuring spaces for 1:1 and small group music therapy services provided by three music therapy faculty members and a graduate assistant, all national board-certified music therapists.
For additional information about the expo and music therapy degree plans, contact Lee at 580.774.3218.