SWOSU Raises Over $70,000 at First-Ever Charitable Hunt
Over $70,000 was recently raised at the first-ever charitable hunt recently hosted by the Southwestern Oklahoma State University (SWOSU) Foundation, Inc.
The fundraising activity drew 60 participants and the money raised will be used to establish SWOSU’s first-ever endowment reserved for the benefit of the Department of Parks & Recreation Management (PRM). SWOSU PRM seeks to facilitate the development of professionals in the fields of conservation management, parks and recreation management, sport management, parks law enforcement and wildland fire management.
“We are deeply grateful to the many generous SWOSU alumni and friends who stepped up and helped make the hunt such a resounding success,” said SWOSU President Dr. Randy L. Beutler. “The hunt’s proceeds will be invested in SWOSU’s Parks & Recreation Management program in furtherance of our university’s pursuit of higher levels of excellence.”
Longtime SWOSU benefactors Kandi and Rick Nagel of Norman served as the hunt’s presenting sponsor and major underwriters. Kandi is a 1998 SWOSU alumnae and past president of the SWOSU Alumni Association.
Okie Express Auto Wash and Mike North (SWOSU Class of 1980) and Marilyn Flinchum served as the event’s shirt sponsors.
CDL University, LLC and Darin and Denise Miller served as the event’s hat sponsor.
Hunt hosts and co-hosts included:
- Bill & Suzie Brewster (SWOSU Class of 1965, and 1990 and 2009 SWOSU Distinguished Alumni, respectively)
- Everett & Jeanetta Dobson (SWOSU Class of 1981 and 1999 SWOSU Distinguished Alumnus)
- Carl & Sandra Hook (SWOSU Class of 1967 and 2019 SWOSU Distinguished Alumnus)
- Jerry & Margaret Hodge (SWOSU Class of 1965 and 1979 SWOSU Distinguished Alumnus)
- Homer & Kim Ryan (SWOSU Class of 1967)
- Gary Armbruster, Heath Tate, and MA+ Architects
- Michael & Morgan Hart (SWOSU Class of 2006)
- Thomas & Trisch Mapel (SWOSU Class of 2002) and Mark & Valarie Mapel (SWOSU Classes of 2007 & 2010, respectively)
- Jordan & Rachel Frosch (SWOSU Class of 2009)
- Corky & Missy Heard (SWOSU Classes of 1987 and 1987 & 1992, respectively)
- Rouben Tourian (SWOSU Class of 1996)
- Wes Magill & Karen Magill (SWOSU Class of 2001) and Magill Insurance & Real Estate
- Heston Wright & Claudia Wright (SWOSU Class of 1998) and Wright Wradio Network
This unique fundraising activity was facilitated by BlackOak Farms, a full-service bird hunting operation near Devol that is integrated with traditional agriculture practices of farming and ranching. BlackOak is owned and operated by John and Monica Collison.
Participants in the event were treated to a cocktail hour generously furnished by Butcher’s Wine & Spirits and Jett Distributing.
Jarred Jones and First National Bank & Trust Company provided participants with an incredibly delicious supper of brisket, smoked sausage, pulled pork, and a wide variety of sides and accompaniments.
Corky and Missy Heard and Heard United Country Auction & Real Estate led the participants in a rousing, fun live auction and fund-a-need exercise.
Items auctioned off included:
- A premium bird hunt experience donated by BlackOak Farms and John & Monica Collison
- Two premium feral hog hunting experiences donated by Hart Land & Hunting and Michael & Morgan Hart
- A premium fishing experience donated by Little Glasses Resort & Marina and Kevin Beam
- A new YETI Pack Cooler donated by Kerstan Thomas
Photography services were generously donated by Devin Ring and videography services were generously donated by Brennan King.
Courtesy shuttles for the event were generously furnished by Cummins Automotive Group.
“Because of the generosity and enthusiasm of our sponsors and participants and the hard work of our many volunteers, we were able to exceed the hunt’s original revenue target by 40%,” said SWOSU Foundation, Inc. Executive Director Garrett King. “SWOSU students and faculty in the Department of Parks & Recreation Management will benefit greatly from this fun and unique event.”
The SWOSU Charitable Hunt was organized by the SWOSU Foundation, Inc.. The Foundation was established in 1977 to promote philanthropy and distribute funds to support the activities and programs of SWOSU. Located on the Weatherford campus in the historic Burton House, the Foundation currently stewards over $26 million in assets for the benefit of SWOSU. For more information on the Foundation, please call 580-774-3267 or visit www.SWOSUFoundation.com.