SWOSU Raises Over $87,000 at 2nd Annual Charitable Hunt
Over $87,000 was raised at Southwestern Oklahoma State University’s recent 2nd annual
charitable hunt to benefit the SWOSU Parks and Recreation Management Department on
the Weatherforrd campus. A large group of supporters participated in the hunt.
Southwestern Oklahoma State University (SWOSU) hosted its 2nd annual charitable hunt on September 17 in Devol, and the SWOSU Foundation, Inc. is delighted to announce that the event raised over $87,000 in revenues, contributions and commitments.
“It was a real treat to gather with SWOSU alumni, emeriti and friends in the great outdoors for a very worthy cause—our Parks & Recreation Management program on the SWOSU Hilltop,” said SWOSU President Dr. Diana R. Lovell. “We are so very grateful to all whose charitable giving and volunteer hours made SWOSU’s second annual charitable hunt such a resounding success!”
The proceeds from the hunt will be allocated to the Dr. Ken Rose Memorial Fund, which exists to help SWOSU produce the next generation of conservationists, sportsmen and sportswomen, wildlife law enforcement officials, park rangers and many others. Members of the late Dr. Rose’s family joined participants for the day’s activities.
For the second consecutive year, longtime SWOSU benefactors Kandi and Rick Nagel of Norman served as the hunt’s presenting sponsor and major underwriters. Kandi is a 1998 SWOSU alumnae and past president of the SWOSU Alumni Association.
Magill Insurance & Real Estate / Bruce (SWOSU Class of 1970) & Terry (Reid) Magill and Wes & Karen (Ashworth) Magill (SWOSU Class of 2002) served as the event’s corporate YETI sponsor.
CDL University, LLC and Darin and Denise Miller served as the event’s corporate cooler sponsor.
Hunt hosts and co-hosts included:
- Dillingham Insurance
- Everett & Jeanetta Dobson (SWOSU Class of 1981 and 1999 SWOSU Distinguished Alumnus)
- Gary Armbruster, Heath Tate, and MA+ Architects
- Michael & Morgan Hart (SWOSU Class of 2006)
- Carl & Sandra Hook (SWOSU Class of 1967 and 2019 SWOSU Distinguished Alumnus)
- Thomas & Trisch Mapel (SWOSU Class of 2002)
- Jordan & Rachel Frosch (SWOSU Class of 2009)
- Mike North (SWOSU Class of 1980) and Marilyn Flinchum
- Ron Oldfield (SWOSU Class of 1980)
This unique fundraising activity was, for the second consecutive year, facilitated by BlackOak Farms, a full-service hunting operation that is integrated with traditional agriculture practices of farming and ranching. BlackOak is owned and operated by John and Monica Collison.
The event kicked off with an exciting sporting clay competition sponsored by High Water Strategies / Colby Hale. The competition was followed by a late afternoon/early evening dove hunt enjoyed by over 55 participants.
After departing BlackOak Farms and arriving at the Redneck Riviera Resort, participants were treated to a cocktail reception sponsored by Jett Distributing, Butcher’s Wine & Spirits, and Clinton Liquor. Following the reception, over 75 guests enjoyed a delicious supper generously furnished by Rouben Tourian (SWOSU Class of 1996)
Supper was followed by a fundraising auction expertly facilitated and sponsored by United Country Heard Auction & Real Estate / Corky & Missy Heard (SWOSU Classes of 1987 and 1987 & 1992, respectively).
Auction items generously donated included:
- An historic, first edition book detailing the history of the area in which the hunt was held, donated by Ron Oldfield
- A gift certificate to Shorty’s Caboy Hattery, donated by Shorty’s Caboy Hattery
- Riomar shoes and wine, donated by Mac Smith
- 2 YETI coolers, donated by Kerstan Thomas
- A group dove hunt, donated by BlackOak Farms
- A group hog hunt, donated by Michael & Morgan Hart
- A customized cornhole set and giant jenga set, donated by Hollis Landreth
- A group goose hunt, donated by Kord Etbauer at LC 5 Outfitters
- A premium fishing experience donated by Little Glasses Resort & Marina and Kevin Beam
- A brand new grill, donated by Weatherford ACE Hardware and Troy Kerth
As the evening drew to a close, participants enjoyed a spectacular live performance from No Justice lead vocalist Steve Rice and keyboard player Bryce Conway (SWOSU Class of 1995).
Lucky Star Casino generously furnished water for all participants, and SWOSU alumnus Devin Ring was kind enough to donate his time and talent as photographer for the event.
SWOSU is very appreciative to volunteers Lyndon Perry, Staci (Litsch) Wechsler and Elizabeth Perry for their invaluable service in support of this year’s hunt.
The 2nd Annual SWOSU Charitable Hunt was organized by the SWOSU Foundation, Inc., which was established in 1977 to promote philanthropy and distribute funds to support the activities and programs of SWOSU. Located on the Weatherford campus in the historic Burton House, the Foundation currently stewards nearly $36 million in assets for the benefit of SWOSU. For more information on the Foundation, please call 580-774-3267 or visit www.SWOSUFoundation.com.