SWOSU Celebrating Music Therapy Awareness Week
Southwestern Oklahoma State University’s Music Therapy Awareness Week 2022, in conjunction with its 40th anniversary celebration of the SWOSU Music Therapy series, is being celebrated February 21 through Saturday, February 26, on the Weatherford campus with the highlight being an experiential, interactive music recital on February 23 and a Music Therapy Expo & Open House on February 26.
The annual Music Therapy Interactive Music Recital is on Wednesday, February 23, from 4-5 p.m. in the Fine Arts Center Auditorium. It is open to public and the admission is free.
The 15th Annual Music Therapy Expo and Open House will feature SWOSU affiliated internship programs at The Children's Center Rehabilitation Hospital (TCCRH) of Bethany, Companion Hospice of Guthrie, Oral Roberts University (ORU) Music Therapy Clinic, University of Oklahoma Children’s Hospital (OUCH), and the Veteran’s Affairs Medical Center of Amarillo (TX) from 10 a.m. to 12 noon. There will be presentations by SWOSU faculty members and upper-class students appropriate for high school students as well as the public interested in learning more about music therapy and the training program at SWOSU from 1-4 p.m.
The activities are organized by the SWOSU Music Therapy Student Association (SWOSU-MTSA).
Additional celebratory events include:
- Book display at the Al Harris Library through the Month of March
- SWOSU Music Therapy historical display in the hallway of the Music Therapy Center, Berrong Music Hall
- Monday, February 21: Cards for residents in long-term care available at the Weatherford Public Library; Movie Night: Coco, 8 p.m. at Berrong Music Hall 132
- Tuesday, February 22: Breakfast bar for SWAMTA Regional Conference, 7:30 a.m.-12 noon at the Fine Arts Center Lobby
- Wednesday, February 23: Music Therapy Interactive Recital: Drum Circle and Song Writing/Lyric Completion, 4-5 p.m. in the Fine Arts Center Auditorium
- Thursday, February 27: Music therapy faculty and students featured on Conversation Corner on FM 95.5 at 8 a.m.; Open Mic Night, 6 p.m. at Berrong Music Hall Room 101
- Friday, February 25: Music Therapy Research and Clinical Practice Fair; 9 a.m.-12 noon, lobby of Memorial Student Union
- Saturday, February 26: Music Therapy Open House at Berrong Music Hall 101, 132 and 137, 10 a.m.-4 p.m.; Registration form available at https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSe_od10AKIWdL_Yukx6aydBSqh4geBJSZv7c1nArq9yNFolqw/viewform or onsite
(QR Code of SWOSU Music Therapy Open House Registration Form)
SWOSU has the longest standing music therapy undergraduate and equivalency/certification programs in the state of Oklahoma (approved by the former National Association for Music Therapy in 1981) and is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music and American Music Therapy Association. The Master of Music in Music Therapy has received the accreditation by the National Association of Schools of Music in 2016 and approval by the American Music Therapy Association in 2019. This played a significant role in advancing Oklahoma as the 8th state in the U.S. licensing Professional Music Therapists (LPMT) since 2016 and continuously serves as the major force in the music therapy education as well as clinical practice both locally and globally.
There are currently close to 50 students in the SWOSU music therapy programs. The new SWOSU Music Therapy Center is in the north wing of Berrong Music Hall, featuring spaces for 1:1 group music therapy services (<32 people) provided by three music therapy faculty members and 2 graduate assistants, all national board-certified music therapists.
For additional information about the expo and music therapy degree plans, contact Dr. ChihChen Sophia Lee, professor & director of music therapy at 580.774.3218 or Sophia.email@example.com.