Madge Lenz Jordan Scholarship Fund Established at SWOSU

Madge Lenz Jordan

A new scholarship fund has been established with the Southwestern Oklahoma State University Foundation, Inc., that will benefit SWOSU students studying in the Departments of Education, Biological Sciences, Chemistry and Physics, and Social Sciences.

The Madge Lenz Jordan Scholarship Fund was established by Jordan’s daughter, Marilyn Doty of Auburn (WA).

Madge (Landers) Lenz Jordan was born in 1904 in Caddo County. Raised on a farm near Hinton, she was educated in a country school until her high school years. She graduated from Hinton High School before spending a number of years teaching in small country schools throughout the area. Jordan put herself through college at SWOSU, waiting tables in downtown Weatherford and walking back and forth up “the hill” for classes.

Jordan married Albert Lenz in 1931. The Lenz Family lived on a farm in northern Caddo County while she educated young people at Mound Valley, Hydro, and Weatherford, where the Lenz Family settled in 1946.

Doty, who established the fund, is a 1966 SWOSU Alumnus who studied chemistry. Doty remembers fondly her years at the university when she took 18 “intense” hours every semester. Doty also remembers summers on the campus that were “shoes-sticking-to-tar” hot, and she recalls the excitement when the current Chemistry, Pharmacy, and Physics Building (CPP) was newly-constructed during her time as an undergraduate.

In June 1966, Doty utilized the tools with which SWOSU equipped her and went to work at Boeing Commercial Air Company in Seattle (WA) during the 747 buildup. Doty worked at Boeing for a quarter-century and is very thankful to SWOSU for the education it gave her, particularly the chemistry and English skills that she utilized frequently at Boeing.

Contributions may be made to the Madge Lenz Jordan Scholarship Fund by visiting www.GivetoSWOSU.com and designating gifts to the “Madge Lenz Jordan Scholarship,” or via mail at SWOSU Foundation, 100 Campus Drive, Weatherford, OK 73096 (please make check payable to “SWOSU Foundation” and designate “Madge Lenz Jordan Scholarship” in the memo line).

The SWOSU Foundation was established in 1977 to promote philanthropy and distribute funds to support the activities and programs of SWOSU. Located on the Weatherford campus in the historic Burton House, the Foundation currently stewards over $20 million in assets for the benefit of SWOSU. For more information about the fund, contact SWOSU Foundation Scholarships & Grants Coordinator Robbin Jennings at 580-774-3267.

Photo caption: A new scholarship fund with the Southwestern Oklahoma State University Foundation, Inc., is in honor of Madge Lenz Jordan (seated). Behind her in the photo taken in 1986 is daughter Marilyn Doty who established the fund, which will benefit SWOSU students studying in the Departments of Education, Biological Sciences, Chemistry and Physics, and Social Sciences.