Wright Family Scholarship Fund Established at SWOSU
Southwestern Oklahoma State University (SWOSU) with locations in Weatherford and Sayre has announced the creation of the Wright Family Scholarship Fund.
The fund has been generously established by Oklahoma State Representative G. Harold Wright and his wife Carol (Roberson) Wright, both members of the SWOSU Class of 1971 (Carol also earned her Masters of Education degree from SWOSU in 1980).
Harold and Carol met while students at SWOSU, both working part-time at a famous now-gone dining locale, The Spot. They are proud parents and grandparents, and in August 2019 will celebrate 50 years of marriage.
The fund will facilitate the annual awarding of two distinct scholarships at present and may expand to award others in the future.
The Glenn Wright Memorial Scholarship will be granted to a junior-level SWOSU student who intends to pursue a career in band direction and is named for the late Glenn Wright (SWOSU Class of 1949), Harold’s father who had a distinguished career, leading band programs in Erick and Anadarko.
The Ernestine “Ernie” (Holcomb) Wright Memorial Scholarship will be granted to a female SWOSU student, studying kinesiology, exercise science, education in health and physical education, or recreational leadership and is named for the late Ernestine “Ernie” (Holcomb) Wright (SWOSU Class of 1959), an emeritus instructor at SWOSU.
“We consider the SWOSU ‘Hilltop’ our home, and we are honored to be able to give back to our alma mater in this special way,” said Harold and Carol.
The Wright Family has extensive ties to SWOSU:
- Glenn Wright’s father, Harry L. Wright, was an active member of the SWOSU band program in the 1920’s.
- Glenn Wright’s brother, Jake, was a 1951 alumnus.
- Harold’s sister Suzan (Wright) Gates and her husband Winston Gates are 1983 and 1994 SWOSU graduates, respectively.
- Harold and Carol’s daughter District Attorney Angela Marsee, attended SWOSU, and their son Heston attended SWOSU and serves on the SWOSU Athletic Association Board of Directors. Harold and Carol’s daughter-in-law Claudia (Burgess) Wright is a 1998 SWOSU graduate.
- Harold’s grandmother, the late Miriam Holcomb, was assistant manager and dietician in the SWOSU cafeteria.
- Harold’s cousin Dr. Robert “Bob” Wright earned degrees from SWOSU in 1951 and 1961.
- Dozens of SWOSU students have been employed at Harold and Carol’s business Wright Wradio over the years.
“Thanks to generous, thoughtful alumni like the Wright family, our university is a stronger institution and a better place for all to pursue higher learning,” said SWOSU President Dr. Randy L. Beutler. “We are truly grateful to Harold and Carol for investing in SWOSU’s mission.”
The Wright Family Scholarship Fund is stewarded by the SWOSU Foundation, Inc., which was established in 1977 to promote philanthropy and distribute funds to support the activities and programs of SWOSU. Located on the Weatherford campus in the historic Burton House, the Foundation currently stewards over $25 million in assets for the benefit of SWOSU. For more information, please contact the SWOSU Foundation at 580-774-3267 or visit www.SWOSUFoundation.com.