Content Loading

Paying for SWOSU

Where to Start

SWOSU understands that financing a college education today is challenging, but it doesn’t have to be overwhelming. SWOSU is proud to have payed out $40 million in student financial aid to more than 70 percent of our student body. We want you to attend SWOSU, and we’re happy to help you make it happen.

Step 1: Before You Start

Advanced Placement

Advanced Placement (AP) courses allow you to take college-level course work in high school and receive credit from SWOSU. The courses cover a variety of academic subjects, such as art, biology, chemistry, computer science, economics, English, foreign languages, history, math and music. You must take a national AP exam in the subject and achieve a certain score in order to qualify for college credit. There may be a fee charged to take the AP exam.

For more information about AP testing dates, fees and more, visit the College Board website.
For more information about AP testing at SWOSU.

Concurrent Enrollment

SWOSU offers qualified high school seniors with tuition free enrollment in concurrent courses up to a total of 18 hours. This means you get to go to college for free while you’re still in high school! There are eligibility requirements: You have to make good grades and score well on the ACT or SAT.

The Military

Educational benefits and scholarships are available to those who serve in the U.S. Armed Forces. In some programs, enlistees receive an education first, and serve an equivalent amount of military time after graduation. Other programs allow you to accumulate money for an education while completing an initial enlistment period. Some scholarships pay full tuition and all instructional fees, and may include a living allowance. Loan repayment is also available to Army service personnel. For more information, contact your local Armed Forces recruiting office.


AmeriCorps is a service program administered by the Corporation for National and Community Service that allows college-minded students to earn educational awards upon completion of service to help pay for college, graduate school or to repay student loans.

Get a Job

Working in high school and building your college savings will help you cut down on the amount of financial aid you will need.

OK 529 College Savings Plan

A 529 plan is a college savings plan that offers tax and financial aid benefits. You, your parents, family members, etc., can all contribute to your OK 529 College Savings Plan.

Oklahoma’s Promise

Oklahoma’s Promise is a state program that offers qualifying Oklahoma students the chance to earn a scholarship for college tuition.

You must be an Oklahoma Resident.
You must be enrolled in the program in the 8th, 9th or 10th This gives you time to get all the academic course requirements in before you graduate from high school.
Your parents’ federal adjusted gross income tax must not exceed $55K per year.

Additional Options

Native American

If you’re a Native American student who can prove membership in a federally recognized tribe, you may receive education grants from the Federal Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA). Information about scholarship or grant programs available to members of your tribe may be available in your tribe's education office.

Students with Disabilities

Students with disabilities who meet the academic qualifications at SWOSU should apply for admission and, if needed, financial aid. By law, a qualified student cannot be excluded from college solely because of a disability.

SWOSU provides services to students with disabilities. Benefits include counseling, tutoring, readers, interpreters, note takers, special parking zones and loan of special equipment. You may also request that a class be relocated to a more accessible place on campus.

Your student budget, as calculated by SWOSU, should include all educational expenses necessary to accommodate your disability. Be sure to work with our Student Financial Services if you apply, so they understand your particular circumstances.

For more information, contact the Dean of Students office, the Oklahoma Department of Rehabilitation Services, or the national organizations serving your particular disability.

For information on benefits for service-disabled veterans, call the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs at 800.827.1000.

Veterans and Their Dependents

The Montgomery GI Bill and the Montgomery GI Bill-Selected Reserve provide educational benefits to Veterans and Servicemembers who have at least two years of active duty. You must work with our Veterans Affairs office to verify your eligibility and we’ll work with you to identify resources.


SWOSU does award scholarships to athletes. These are competitive and awards vary. Most are tuition awards, but some include room, board and/or books.

Step 2: Know Your Options

Hopefully, you have taken advantage of some of the avenues outlined above to lesson your college costs before now. If not, don’t lose heart, SWOSU has many options when it comes to helping you pay for attending our fine university.

Financial aid for college opportunities are designed to supplement your or your family’s contribution to the cost of education. While financial aid can’t totally replace family contributions, SWOSU is dedicated to creating a financial aid package that will meet your needs.

Financial Aid Comes in Many Shapes  Sizes

Whether it’s through scholarships, federal financial aid or loans, we are committed to making sure prospective students in Oklahoma and worldwide have the financial help that they need to become part of our community.

Scholarships - A scholarship is an award of financial aid for based upon various criteria like good grades for financial need. 
Grants - A college grant is free money to help pay for your SWOSU education. Grants are usually need-based.
Student employment programs - Student Employment Programs provide work opportunities. Work-study jobs may be on campus or in a nearby community. You are paid an hourly wage set by the school.
Loans - Loans for students and parents can be need-based or non-need-based. Most financial aid packages involve some loans.
As always, we’re always happy to help you directly with your financial aid questions. Our office is open Monday - Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. We are located in the Gen. Thomas P. Stafford Center, Room 224. You can also reach us by calling 580.774.3786 or by e-mail at

It All Begins with FAFSA

Filling out the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) is the first step you need to take for most any financial aid award. It serves as the application for most of the financial aid from federal and state programs. Even if you are not sure you will need any financial assistance with your college costs, we encourage you to fill out a FAFSA anyway.

You should complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as soon as possible after October 1 of your senior year in high school and after October 1 of each year you are in college. By completing this application, you have applied for funds awarded by most federal and state agencies.