Scholarships awarded through the University Foundation are identified with an (F) following the description. Information and applications for Foundation scholarships may be obtained from the Office of Institutional Advancement (Burton House). All other scholarships and awards are administered by organizations, academic departments, and schools. Contact the department chair for additional information.
Social Science Award for Academic Excellence
This award is presented each year to the graduating student who had compiled the highest overall GPA in one of the Social Science majors.
Department of Social Sciences Awards
- Randy Beutler History Education Scholarship: The Scholarship is given annually to a distinguished history education major.
- Roger Bromert History Scholarship: The Scholarship is given annually to a distinguished history major.
- Holley Distinguished Upper Class Major in Criminal Justice Award: The award is given each year to a junior or senior majoring in criminal justice who has distinguished herself/himself in the classroom as well as in other areas of academic life.
- John T. Patterson Memorial Scholarship: Born February 20, 1983, John Thomas Patterson was a charismatic individual who loved being with friends and family. If he wasn’t at a social gathering with his friends, he was at home reading or watching movies. John loved history; this love of history followed him to Southwestern. He enjoyed his history classes at Southwestern, learning about all stages of history from the Reformation of the South to Early European history. He left classes so excited he would find his brother and discuss history for hours. John earned a B.A. in History from Southwestern in 2007. On July 16, 2009, John was killed in Bethany, Oklahoma. The John T. Patterson Memorial Scholarship was created by his family to honor his memory. His family hopes that John's history will live on, much like the classes he loved so much.
- Madge Lenz Jordan Scholarship: This scholarship was established in 2015 by Marilyn Ann Doty for the benefit of students majoring in one of the following departments: Education, Biological Sciences, Chemistry and Physics or Social Sciences.