Below are instructions for preparing State Representatives’ Candidate Platform Statements for the national finals of the Miss America’s Outstanding Teen Competition
Please remember, this ONE (1) page, single-spaced document combined with your Platform Statement and your National Competition Candidate Contract will comprise your entire application for the responsibility of becoming Miss America’s Outstanding Teen. The judges will receive exactly what is submitted. Any items submitted that do not fit the established criteria will be returned for correction only once. Any items that do not meet the criteria or are submitted after the deadline will not be given to the judges. If your Platform Statement arrives on the day of the deadline, but does not meet the criteria, there will not be time to return it to you; therefore, it will not be given to the judges. The candidate may explain the lack of judging materials during her interview, if she so chooses.
Candidates: Discuss your personal platform. In addition, explain how you will further the Miss America’s Outstanding Teen Program “brand” to the public.
(See sample essay below)
- Set margins for 1" on all four sides. The font style may not be any smaller than “10” and no larger than “12” point type using the Times New Roman font style.
- With the justification set for left, type “Name:” in bold. Following the colon (:), remove bold and hit the space bar twice. Then, type your name as you wish the judges to know it. (If your name is Mary Deborah Smith and you want to be known as “Deborah Smith," please type “Deborah Smith.")
- Double space down. Set your justification to “center”. Then type in Bold and underline the title of your Platform.
- Double space down. With justification set for left and unbold, write what you feel is critical for the judge’s to know about your platform and why it is necessary for you to have the position of Miss America’s Outstanding Teen to promote this platform. What you write will be what the judges know about your platform, your role in successfully dealing with this platform, and the role the Miss America’s Outstanding Teen Organization may play in your plan.
- Remember to include in the Platform Statement what you can do to get the message out and get more of your friends and other teens interested in the Miss America’s Outstanding Teen Program.
- Remember to single space the text that you are typing.
- This essay may include some of the following suggested items (this is not to be meant
as an all-inclusive list list)… remember, this is your platform statement:
- A clear definition of your platform and the specific issues you wish to address
- A plan on how you have or will create awareness of the platform
- The way in which you have or will change attitudes regarding the issue
- The way in which you have or will change behaviors related to this issue
- The way in which your platform issue will move the Miss America’s Outstanding Teen Program forward
- Your media plans
- Your marketing strategy
- How you propose to fund your ideas/plans
- Any significant accomplishments you already have made in regard to your issue
- At the bottom of the page, you MUST set the justification to the right. Type a line of 26 spaces. Below that line, you must type Signature/Date. Once you have printed the document, you must sign and date this document.
Please click here to view a sample of Miss America's Outstanding Teen Candidate Platform Statement Instructions.