The HESI Admission Assessment (A2) tests program applicants in three main academic areas – English Language, Math, & Science. This test is designed to assess the academic and personal readiness of prospective students in nursing and health professions.
The English Language portion of the test includes the following sub-categories:
- Reading Comprehension: Provides reading scenarios in order to measure reading comprehension, identifying the main idea, finding meaning of words in context, passage comprehension, making logical inferences, etc.
- Vocabulary and General Knowledge: Contains vocabulary terms that are commonly used in both general English-speaking settings and in health care fields.
- Grammar: Contains basic grammar, including parts of speech, important terms and their uses, commonly occurring grammatical errors, etc.
The Math portion of the test covers the following:
- Basic Math Skills: Focuses on math skills needed for health care fields, including basic addition, subtraction, multiplication, fractions, decimals, ratio and proportion, household measures, general math facts, etc.
The Science portion of the test includes the following sub-categories:
- Biology: Covers biology basics, water, biological molecules, metabolism, cells, cellular respiration, photosynthesis, etc.
- Chemistry: Contains test items that cover matter, chemical equations and reactions, the periodic table, atomic structure, nuclear chemistry, chemical bonding, etc.
- Anatomy and Physiology: Provides coverage of general terminology and anatomical structures and systems.
|Content Area||# of Test Items||Total Time Allowed|
|Reading Comprehension||55 items*||60 minutes|
|Vocabulary & General Knowledge||55 items*||50 minutes|
|Grammar||55 items*||50 minutes|
|Basic Math Skills||55 items*||50 minutes|
|Biology||30 items**||25 minutes|
|Chemistry||30 items**||25 minutes|
|Anatomy & Physiology||30 items**||25 minutes|
275 scored items
**includes 50 scored and 5 pilot items
**includes 25 scored and 5 pilot items
The HESI A2 is administered through the Assessment Center. The HESI may be taken two times in a 12-month period, waiting 14 days between testings. The test must have been completed within the last three years. The cost for HESI A2 is approximately $80. For further information, please contact your advisor.
The HESI Admission Assessment Exam Review, 5th Edition provides students with comprehensive preparatory materials, including topics and question types found in each area of the A2. The guide includes hundreds of sample questions, step-by-step explanations, and comprehensive practice exams to help review subject areas and improve test-taking skills.
Sign Up Information for HESI A2
Program type: BSN
All prospective nursing students must submit verification of HESI A2 scores by the application deadline. The test must have been completed within the last three years.
SWOSU Assessment Center
214 W College (across from Neff Hall)
Weatherford, OK 73096
For the Sayre remote locaation
Director of Counseling/Assessment & Orientation
580.928.5533, ext. 2131
When you schedule your HESI A2, also schedule an appointment with your advisor to review your HESI A2 score. The Study Guide is currently available in the library at the reserve desk.