SWOSU College of Pharmacy Rural Health Center
Diabetes Prevention Program
Prevent Type 2 Diabetes with the PreventT2 Program
What is Prediabetes?
Prediabetes is when blood glucose (sugar) levels are higher than normal but not high enough to be diagnosed as diabetes. One in three American adults has prediabetes, but 80 percent do not even know they have it. Without intervention (healthy food choices, getting physically active, five to seven percent weight loss), up to 30% of those with prediabetes will develop type 2 diabetes within five years.
Am I at Risk for Prediabetes and Type 2 Diabetes?
Please take this 60-second National Diabetes Prevention Program Risk Test to help determine your risk for prediabetes and type 2 diabetes. If you think you may be at risk, a health care provider can do a blood test to confirm if you have prediabetes.
Can I Prevent Type 2 Diabetes?
Yes! Research has shown that people with prediabetes who take part in a structured lifestyle change program can cut their risk of developing type 2 diabetes in half. The SWOSU College of Pharmacy Rural Health Center PreventT2 Lifestyle Change Program can help you take charge of your health to prevent or delay type 2 diabetes.
What is the PreventT2 Lifestyle Change Program?
PreventT2 is part of the National Diabetes Prevention Program, led by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). It is proven to help people with prediabetes prevent or delay the development of type 2 diabetes. You will work with other participants and a trained lifestyle coach for 12 months to learn the skills you need to make lasting changes. These changes include losing a modest amount of weight, being more physically active, implementing healthy food and drink choices, and learning healthy coping mechanisms for stress, sleep, and environmental challenges.
- In-person, Zoom, and Online offerings
- One-hour sessions
- First six months - weekly meetings
- Last six months - once or twice monthly maintenance meetings
- Classes will begin throughout the year
- Led by Certified Lifestyle Coaches
- Location and schedule are subject to change per class
- Cost may vary according to payment plan (insurance, self-pay)
PreventT2 Lifestyle Coaches have the experience and training to help you reach your goals. Your lifestyle coach will
- Help you build skills on healthy eating and active living
- Equip you with tools for how to respond to the external environment
- Introduce methods to support your emotional wellbeing
- Discuss overall health and wellness
- Implement personal goal setting and problem solving
- Build a supportive and encouraging environment
How Can I Participate in the PreventT2 Program?
Participants must meet the following requirements
- Be at least 18 years of age or older and
- Have a body mass index (BMI) of 25 or greater (Asian Americans: 23 or greater) and
- A diagnosis of prediabetes through blood test or
- A history of gestational diabetes (diabetes while pregnant) or
- Score five (5) or higher on the National Diabetes Prevention Program Risk Test
Participants cannot have a previous diagnosis of type 1 or type 2 diabetes
PreventT2 is part of the National Diabetes Prevention Program, led by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). A key part of the National DDP is a lifestyle change program that provides