This policy is represented in part in the following web addresses:
All credits are earned in semester hours. Semester hour credits are calculated as follows:
- One semester hour is awarded for a lecture class meeting one hour (50 minutes) per week and a minimum of two additional hours of work outside of class time for 16 weeks exclusive of enrollment, orientation, and vacation time, or an equivalent amount of work for a different amount of time.
- One semester hour of credit will normally be awarded for a laboratory meeting a minimum of two hours per week for 16 weeks.
- Instruction offered through a combination of classes and laboratory meetings will normally observe the standards set forth in (1) and (2) above.
- Hybrid or Online classes meet the semester hour standard if they meet one of the following
- The course covers the same material in the same depth as a face-to-face version of the same course, OR,
- The course has been evaluated by the department and college for content and rigor, and the department and college have approved the semester hour credit to be awarded.
- Consistent with SWOSU Distance Education Policy, distance education courses must have regular, faculty-initiated interaction with students, meet the same student learning outcomes, and use comparable student assessments as the equivalent face-to-face course.