I've Applied...Now What?
Congratulations on your decision to apply to SWOSU's Graduate Program! Below is a list of things you should know about the application process.
I submitted my online admissions application to SWOSU. What do I do next?
Now that you have applied, you will need to mail us a copy of the online confirmation page and college transcripts. Once your supporting documents have been received, you should hear from us within approximately 10 days regarding your acceptance to SWOSU. Admittance into the Graduate program is a separate application process. Once admitted to SWOSU, you will need to follow through by submitting an application for graduate admission.
What are the criteria for the Graduate program?
- You must have a bachelor’s degree from a college or university accredited by a regional accrediting association.
- Master of Education and Master of Science applicants must have the official copy of the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) score sent to the Graduate Office if the applicants undergraduate GPA is below 2.50. Check with Graduate Office to determine if GRE is required.
- Master of Business Administration and M.S. Management applicants are required to take an online Inbound CPC exam prior to acceptance. Exam instruction will be provided to the applicant once all required application information is received.
What do I send with the application for admission to Graduate Studies?
- Official transcript(s) of all credit earned. Copies of transcripts will not be accepted.
- Transfer of Credit Policy.
- Master of Education, Master of Science, and Master of Business Administration applicants must have two confidential recommendation forms completed by professionals in a position to rate academic aptitude and motivational factors.
- Master of Music degree applicants must submit two reference letters.
Depending on the specializations, you may be required to submit additional information. Portfolios are required of some programs: M.Ed. in Educational Administration requires an e-portfolio; M.Ed. in School Counseling, M.Ed. in School Psychometry, and M.S. in School Psychology require a paper portfolio. For more information about requirements, contact the Graduate Studies office at 580.774.3790 or firstname.lastname@example.org before beginning your graduate application process.
I already have some graduate credit. Will it transfer?
Only coursework with grades of “A” and/or “B” are eligible for transfer. Individual departments determine what credit will and will not transfer. Keep in mind that a maximum of nine (9) transfer hours of graduate credit may be applied towards a graduate degree at SWOSU. In addition, a 9-hour policy agreement must be signed and submitted with your Graduate Studies application.
I have some prerequisites to finish up at SWOSU before I begin graduate work. Can I wait to apply for the graduate program? Yes. You may also take up to 9 hours of graduate coursework before being admitted into the program. Just remember that any graduate credit earned at SWOSU prior to admission into the graduate program is applied under the same 9-hour policy agreement as transfer credit. By taking pre-admittance graduate hours at SWOSU, be sure you are not exceeding the number of graduate hours you can transfer into the program (all graduate hours taken prior to SWOSU graduate admission, regardless from which university the hours were taken, must equal 9 hours or less). Again, only grades of “A” and/or “B” are eligible to transfer.
How do I enroll in my classes?
Once you have been admitted to the University, you will be assigned an advisor in your major area of interest. Advisors are available to assist students with enrollment and to provide general program information. The student, however, has the final responsibility of ensuring that program requirements are met. Don’t know who your advisor is? Once admitted to SWOSU, you will have a SWOSU Live account where you can, among other things, access your advisor information.
What scholarships are available at SWOSU and how do I apply?
Incoming first-time SWOSU graduate students are eligible for some financial aid in the form of loans. To see if you qualify, fill out the online FAFSA. Students with previous graduate credit at SWOSU are eligible for a Graduate Tuition Scholarship if they meet the following criteria:
- Admission to a Graduate Program;
- Have completed graduate coursework at SWOSU;
- Currently enrolled in a minimum of six (6) graduate hours;
- Minimum of 3.50 GPA;
- Must be an Oklahoma Resident.
This is a lot of information to take in at one time! I’m sure I’ll have more questions later. Who should I contact?
You should contact the friendly staff in the Graduate Studies office. We are here to help! Feel free to call us at580.774.3790.