Helpful Planning information
- Plan to arrive at Will Rogers World airport in Oklahoma City (OKC) by the date in your admission letter.
- When you have finalized your plane ticket, please complete the Airport Pickup Request Form. We will respond by e-mail with a contact cell phone number so that you can keep us informed as you travel and connect with the person meeting you at the airport.
- If you complete the Airport Pickup Request Form, we will plan to meet you at the Oklahoma City (OKC) airport and take you to our campus (a one-hour drive). If you plan make other arrangements please inform us of this.
- Don’t forget to bring your original certificates, diplomas and transcripts – review your admission letter to see if any specific documents are mentioned!
- Before you travel, be sure your passport will not expire for at least six more months.
- Keep your passport and I-20 ready to show officials at the airports as you travel.
- If possible, travel with some U.S. dollars in cash in case you need snacks or other items. You will also need some cash when you arrive at the university.
- As you are traveling, plan to update your family at home if possible so they don’t worry too much about you.
- E-mail, text or phone the international office about any changes in your travel plans after your trip starts – e-mail email@example.com in case you don’t have a phone number for this.
- All students at SWOSU are required to submit documents showing that they have received immunizations and some medical tests. You received the health immunization form with your SWOSU acceptance letter and I-20. If you need another copy of this form, please inform us.
- If you have already had immunizations, please bring documents from your doctor at home for this or use the health immunization form from SWOSU.
- The climate in Oklahoma includes a warm and sunny summer time from June through August, and a cool, but normally, sunny winter from December through February.
- Spring (March – May) and fall/autumn (September – November) are times of weather changes. So it may be cold one day and warm the next, but many Oklahomans say this is their favorite time for weather during the year.
- If you plan to arrive in August, remember it is our one of our hottest months and if you plan to arrive in January, it is one of our coldest months. Plan to dress appropriately for your arrival!
- You have the option to live in the university dormitories (residence halls) or off-campus in private apartments or houses.
- If you choose to live in a dormitory/residence hall, you will need to complete a Residence Hall application and return it. Please visit the Housing Page for more information and a link to the application.
- Private apartments and houses are arranged for by the student. If you think this is the best choice, try to contact current SWOSU international students for more information. You may need to arrange to stay in an area hotel for a few nights while your arrangements are completed. Hotels cost from $50 to $150 per night.