Content Loading

Citizenship Details

The United States immigration status you must have in order to receive federal student aid is:

  • U.S. Citizen
  • U.S. national (includes natives of American Samoa or Swain's Island)
  • or U.S. permanent resident with an I-151, I-551, or I-551C (Alien Registration Receipt Card)

If you're not in one of these categories, you must have an Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) from the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) showing one of the following designations:

  • Refugee
  • Asylum granted
  • Indefinite parole and/or humanitarian parole
  • Cuban-Haitian entrant, status pending
  • Conditional entrant (valid only if issued before April 1, 1980)
  • Other eligible non-citizen with a Temporary Resident Card (I-688)

Permanent residents of the Trust Territory of the Pacific (Pall) may be eligible for federal student aid. Citizens of the Federated States of Micronesia and the Marshall Islands are eligible for Pell Grants, SEOG or Work Study only. You are not eligible for federal financial aid if you only have a Notice of Approval to Apply for Permanent Residence (I-171 or I-464A) or if you are in the U.S. on an F1, F2, J1, J2 or G series visa.