Camp Counselors Needed
The Southwest Alliance for Girls’ Enrichment for Science, Technology, Engineering, the Arts & Humanities, and Mathematics (SAGE STEAM) Camp is looking for college students to work together during the week of June 13 to 19, 2021, on the SWOSU campus in Weatherford, OK.
Camp Counselors consist of full-time (day and night) positions who do the following:
- Be responsible for a “Dorm Group” of ten to twelve girls, 12- to 14-years-old, along with another Camp Counselor.
- Supervise campers, to be sure they are where they need to be and to enforce rules throughout daily activities, including classes, free-time activities and meals.
- Expected to reside in the dorm rooms next to their dorm group on campus during the entire week of the camp (room and board provided).
- Serve at the discretion of the Dorm Monitors and Camp Director.
All positions are expected to:
- Act as a good role model for girls, including warm, positive outlook and attitude.
- Provide a safe environment for all camp participants.
- Respond to needs of girls, including those who are homesick, in need extra encouragement during STEM activities, or those with disabilities and/or language challenges, treating them with respect and concern.
- Provide opportunities for all girls to be involved in the camp activities and interact with group.
- Communicate camper progress and challenges with other camp staff.
- Assist with the set-up/execution/clean-up of camp activities, as needed.
- Work as a team and to be proactive.
- Have a commitment to/appreciation of STEM education and the Arts & Humanities – which include the fine arts (music, drawing, writing, etc.) and transferable skills (communication, creativity, teamwork, etc.).
- Successfully pass a background check (paid for and required by SWOSU).
- Attend (remote) meetings in April and/or May to get to know each other and to learn camp responsibilities.
- Conduct online trainings as required for camp by SWOSU.
- Come the Saturday (June 12) before camp starts to help with camp preparations and for final camp updates.
- Assist with the entire week of camp from June 13 to 19.
If you are taking summer school during this time, still apply. We will discuss options for you to potentially do both.
All majors welcome to apply, including nursing and pharmacy.
$500 stipend paid after completing the week of camp in good standing.
- Apply on Handshake. For 2021, job IDs include Counselor #4603388, Camp Assistant (#4603761), and Camp Photographer (#4603676)
- Email resume and cover letter stating why you want to be a counselor at this camp to email@example.com.
The deadline for applications is April 16, and interviews and hiring are occurring now.
About SWOSU's SAGE STEAM Camp
SAGE STEAM (Southwest Alliance for Girls' Enrichment in Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts & Humanities, and Mathematics) Camp at SWOSU is a week-long, overnight, summer camp for Oklahoma students in middle school. This camp incorporates the arts and humanities to enrich STEM and to be featured on their own. The SAGE STEAM camp also inspires the next generation of leaders and mentors by providing counselor, photographer, camp assistant, and research opportunities to college-aged students. The STEAM Team is ultimately interested in sparking an interest in young women to pursue a variety of educational and career choices in STEAM-related fields.