Camp Counselors Needed
The Southwest Alliance for Girls’ Enrichment for Science, Technology, Engineering, the Arts & Humanities, and Mathematics (SAGE STEAM) Camp is looking for college students to work together during the week of camp (typically the second or third week of June) on the SWOSU campus in Weatherford, Oklahoma.
Camp Counselors consist of full-time (day and night) positions who do the following:
- Be responsible for a “Dorm Group” of ten to twelve girls, 12- to 14-years-old, along with another Camp Counselor.
- Supervise campers to be sure they are where they need to be and to enforce rules throughout daily activities, including classes, free-time activities and meals.
- Expected to reside in the dorm rooms next to their dorm group on campus during the entire week of the camp (room and board provided).
- Serve at the discretion of the Counselor Coordinator and Camp Director.
All positions are expected to
- Act as a good role model for girls, including a caring, positive outlook and can-do attitude.
- Provide a safe and encouraging environment for all camp participants.
- Respond to needs of girls, including those who are homesick, in need extra encouragement during camp activities, or those with disabilities and/or language challenges, treating them with respect and concern.
- Provide opportunities for all girls to be involved in camp activities and interact with group.
- Enforce camp rules and provide discipline, as needed.
- Communicate camper progress and challenges with other camp staff.
- Assist with the set-up/execution/clean-up of camp activities, as needed.
- Work as a team and to be proactive.
- Have a commitment to/appreciation of STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) and the Arts & Humanities (music, theatre, drawing, writing, culture, languages, history, etc.), along with developing transferable skills (communication, creativity, teamwork, critical thinking, etc.).
- Successfully pass a background check (paid for and required by SWOSU).
- Attend (in-person or remote) meetings in March, April, and/or May to get to know each other and to learn camp responsibilities.
- Conduct online trainings as required for camp by SWOSU.
- Come the Saturday before camp starts to help with camp preparations and for final camp updates.
- Assist with the entire week of camp.
If you are taking summer school during this time, still apply. We will discuss options for you to potentially do both.
All majors welcome to apply, including nursing and pharmacy.
Stipend paid after completing the week of camp in good standing.
Applications will open in mid-January, and the deadline for applications is mid-February.
About SWOSU's SAGE STEAM Camp
SAGE STEAM (Southwest Alliance for Girls' Enrichment in Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts & Humanities, and Mathematics) Camp at SWOSU is a week-long, overnight, summer camp for Oklahoma students in middle school. This camp incorporates the arts and humanities to enrich STEM and to be featured on their own. The SAGE STEAM camp also inspires the next generation of leaders and mentors by counselor, camp assistant, and photographer / graphic design opportunities to college-aged students. The STEAM Team is ultimately interested in enabling and encouraging Oklahomans to appreciate, integrate, and pursue STEAM-related careers.