The mission of the Southwest Alliance for Girls' Enrichment (SAGE) in Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts & Humanities, and Mathematics (STEAM) Camp is to support and supplement education in STEM for Oklahoma girls going into the 8th grade who may not have the opportunity to experience STEAM-related endeavors otherwise. Through unique experiences via hands-on activities and field trips, integration of the Arts & Humanities to add relevance and depth of learning, and interactions with adult and student mentors, the STEAM Team strives to empower campers to recognize and seek out other STEM opportunities after camp has concluded. In addition, the development of transferable skills such as collaboration, communication, critical thinking, and creativity are integrated into camp activities, as these skills will serve campers in a variety of situations in the future. The STEAM Team insatiately interested in sparking an interest in young women to pursue a variety of educational and career choices in STEAM-related fields.
The SAGE STEAM Camp vision is to inspire girls to become independent thinkers and multimodal communicators who apply critical theory and creative design to collaboratively solve issues important to Oklahoma communities via the skills they learn in the fields of Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts/Humanities, and Mathematics.
We aim to provide an environment for the campers, counselors, workshop teachers, and camp staff that promotes future success via the following elements:
- Careers — To provide opportunities for mentoring, networking, and awareness of educational and career opportunities between camp participants and working professionals in STEAM-related fields.
- Collaboration — To demonstrate the value of teamwork and how each STEAM area contributes to interdisciplinary collaborations.
- Communication — To feature multiple modes of personal and professional communication (oral, written, visual, performance, digital) and their importance to STEAM-related fields.
- Confidence — To empower personal growth via fostering a positive environment in which it is safe to try new things and make mistakes.
- Creativity — To employ the idea that “Everyone is an artist” (quote by German artist Joseph Beuys) via the fundamental ability and drive of every human to create and to be creative in their own unique and irreplaceable way.
- Critical Thinking — To encourage inquiry and independent thinking by applying the scientific and engineering methods in problem-solving.
- Diversity — To produce an environment that raises cultural awareness and enables the inclusion of people with diverse backgrounds.
- Respect — To model respect of self and others as well as enhance appreciation of the evolution of ideas, finding of new discoveries, and creation of masterpieces.
- Professionalism — To teach the importance of and basic skills in professional behaviors such as meal etiquette, personal presentation, interpersonal communication, and the accommodation of differences in oneself and others.
- STEAM Awareness — To make clear how STEAM fits into everyday life to inspire campers, counselors, workshop teachers, and camp staff to support and pursue interests in Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts/Humanities and Mathematics in making the world a better place.
We all explore. We all discover. We all build. We all create. We all compute. We all grow. We all contribute.